reputation points

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey

I have gotten some reputation points since i came to this sight. I was wondering what they are for and how to give them away?

Reputation points are given whenever someone excellent advice or help, or whenever you feel appropriate. To give them, you need to click on the scales under that persons name. HTH

Below your name, avatar, location, my tanks, etc... there are a few little icons. One is a light showing you are online, a scales for giving reputation and a triangle for reporting posts. If you click on the scales(libra), that is under the persons name you want to rep, a small box will open up asking if you want to give rep and also the option to leave a small message for why you are giving it. I hope that makes sense.

Here is a screen shot. I've circled the rep icon in red to help you locate it.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 125
LOL I guess you don't need my pic now.
They only mean that someone thinks you are really helpful. It's just another way of saying thank you really, for helping out.

When you said hope this made since and i said yeah it does. that meant i understood where it was thanks. But what do rep points do are they really impotant? or do they not matter?

It's just a feature of the boards. You see the little green "lights" underneath your post count? These are representative of how many reputation points a user has. The intent is that users that are very helpful providing advice or help will obtain reputation, letting newcomers know that they're knowledgable and/or helpful.

I understood.
They only matter in that you are just saying thank you in another way. They don't do anything or gain you anything (except for little green boxes added under your post count). Rather they are important or not I suppose is a personal thing. I'm sure they are more important to some than others.

Good job of helping Mike out, everyone!

Mike, in your first post you wondered how to give your reputation points away. As Fluff showed you, click on the white scales of justice icon to give someone rep points. When you do this, you don't give your own points away.

Some of you may remember the old kudos system in place on the old software. When you gave kudos points to someone, you did give away your own kudos points to that person. With this reputation point system, you don't give your own rep points away when you add to someone else's reputation.

Thanks. Another question hhow do you tell how many rep points you are giving aaway. I'm just asking bc some of my threads that have been rated different. like some say very postitive and some say somewhat postive.

Thread rating is different than reputation points. As far as I know a general member can't determine the amount of reputation they carry. You can rate a thread rather than reputation for individuals. On the top blue bar there is a rate this thread button.

OK your post rep is increase by the members that give to you. Members that have a lot of posts and reputation themselves carry more reputation weight than those that are newer and haven't built up reputation and posts yet.

Back
Top Bottom