1 Concivt Cichlid in a 10 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
How well would you expect 1 Convict Cichlid to do by itself in a 10 gallon tank?

I have a female convict and I don't think I would keep her in a 10 gallon. She is a very active fish that swims constantly in my 55 gallon tank. They can grow up to 5-6 inches so a 20 inch tank doesn't really afford much swimming room. The bare minimum to keep a con happy would be 20 gallons IMO. :mrgreen:

I agree with Severum Mama, Convicts are very aggresiive, active and bositerous fish, which need at least 30gal Alone. IMO

HTH

JMHO

convict cichlids should probally be kept in pairs according to what ive read and i think you should provide them with plenty of cover for breeding and also a cave because they are considered cave dwellers.

p.s. they can lay up to 100s of fry a year so be ready

You could start a young one in a 10 but will need a bigger tank eventually. They say convicts get 5 to 6 inches but i have seen one that in 9 inches plus. If you get a pair, you will soon have lots. :D

Too small, should have at least 30 gal as FishLover said, it would just be too small for them.

Back
Top Bottom