1 Month Old Gold Ram Fry !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeaq

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 6 fry have reached 1 month of free swimming today.

Just thought I'd share a photo of them.

Now that the hard part is over, I'm making this post to offer advice to anyone who is interested in breeding rams and has any questions.

Feel free to reach out to me & I'll share my experience.

Attachments

• image-147161383.jpg
    image-147161383.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 218
Congrats they look good! Keep them in good water and you want have to have another hard part

My 29 gets a 10% w/c a day. I use the water from there when i do small water changes in the fry tank about 4x's a week. It's been working out perfectly. The water parameters are exactly the same in both tanks which works out because these 6 are eventually going into the 29.

What do you feed them?

Ppl told me to feed vinegar eels, but when my fry became free swimming I learned that my eel colony was basically useless... (It hadn't really established itself in the two months i had it set up)

For the first 4 days i rang out some juice from an established sponge filter and fed them that. the fry are so small that what they eat is basically microscopic.

Day 5 of free swimming I fed ocean nutritions freshly hatched artemia.

What really worked for me was having the fry tank extremely established. There's a lot of green on the sides and bottom of the tank and even on the sponge filter.

The fry have been pecking at the sponge filter & sides of the tank since the could swim.

They are still eating off the sponge filter & eating the freshly hatched artemia.

You're someone I've been looking for!

I posted a thread asking for help so I'm going to come to you for advice, if you don't mind.

I have a 30 gal I'm doing a fishless cycle on I don't plan to add anything until jan. I would love to have a pair of german blue rams, I'm not necessarily trying to breed them, though it would be pretty nifty. But my huge question would be water.
My water is rather hard and the ph is 7.6 steadily. I have read of people keeping them and even breeding them in higher ph. I would be getting mine from a local fish store, I have several who carry them in my area. I do have drift wood though I haven't checked ph in a while. Would I just be wasting time trying to keep rams in a high ph?

I don't believe so especially if they were tank raised. Attempting a pair wouldn't be a bad idea. Next time post in the Cichlid section if you need help with rams.

I didn't know there was a part just for them :/ I'm still learning this forum haha thank you!

I didn't know there was a part just for them :/ I'm still learning this forum haha thank you!

My ph is 7.8. and my rams are from petco. I highly advise to stay away from petco rams as they are crap quality and 95% of the time just die.

You're ph level doesn't matter as long as u acclimate them slowly & have a really established tank. If u dose vita chem your rams will really benefit from it.

Mine act like they're on steroids. They always feed like they've never eaten before.

Back
Top Bottom