10 Gallon Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so currently I have a rock setup in my 10 gallon ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390272898.211051.jpg I just converted from a planted tank today because the goldfish were wreaking havoc. That's beside the point, because the goldfish will be relocated soon. The reason I converted the tank is because when that happens I would really like cichlids but don't know of the ideal species for the 10 gallon tank and number of individuals. Is a 10 gal even viable and if not why? Thanks in advance everyone!

Personally I think a ten gallon is way to small. I don't know if a dwarf cichlid could live in it or not... But I wouldn't do it.

Cichlids get big, you absolutely can not have cichlids in a 10 gallon. Maybe 29 gallon at the least.

What about rams, apistos, or kribs I can easily get plants to make them comfortable. I would have honestly liked to reorganize the rock to create a rift lake tank maybe mbunas like labs or rusty cichlids. Never had cichlids but can you have a combination of lots of different species not in groups (if that makes any sense)? That last question doesn't apply to my 10 gallon just for future reference.

Yes you can, it's referenced as "communities." For example I mix my betta with a few different fish, making them a community.

Cichlids get big, you absolutely can not have cichlids in a 10 gallon. Maybe 29 gallon at the least.

Please don't make a blanket statement like this if you are unsure of the facts. There are literally HUNDREDS of species able to live in a tank under 29 gallons.

A 10 gallon is a bit tight. If done properly, you could get away with a school of nano fish and a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides or agassizi. If you have experience with maintaining water quality, it's easily doable, but if not, I would not recommend it.

There are also the shell dwellers from Tanganyika. Neolamprologus multifasciatus, brevis, and ocellatus all can live comfortably in a 10 gallon in a small colony. However, you would need to convert the tank to sand, ditch the rock work, and add snail shells, but I love my colony of Multies

That's kind of a cool idea actually, are there varieties of the tanganaki (sorry if I butchered that) shell dwellers that have good color (the only ones I've seen were brown with a black stripe)?

That's kind of a cool idea actually, are there varieties of the tanganaki (sorry if I butchered that) shell dwellers that have good color (the only ones I've seen were brown with a black stripe)?

Look into neolamprologus ocellatus "gold"

Oh, and it's Lake Tanganyika ;)

Alright sounds good I'll def do some researching into the species of the lake and natural formations there etc.

Shell dweller tank amazing behavior in a small package that will keep you watching your tank for hours must have shells though.

Yeah was thinking about maybe bringing some shells back with me from the ocean if they won't buffed the water
too badly. After doing some research I want to run some numbers and species by you all my tank is already over filtered and according to aqadvisor should be fine on that side of things but experience wise if I have lots of shells will multiple varieties kill each other? Anyways the kind and numbers I was thinking 3 lamprologus specious (1 male 2 female), 3 lamprologus ocellatus (1male 2 female) and 4 neolamprologus similis ( and if its a good idea or possible 2 males 2 females) all numbers are based on aqadvisor and looking for more info on possible territorial issues etc. thanks

Nope. Shellies do NOT like other species. My multis fight off a lamprologus leleupi twice their size. If pick one species, and go with 3-4 individuals. Most shellies are pretty prolific and will breed to fill a colony. A 10 gallon is still a bit small even for shellies, but easily doable.

Shoot, having the variety would be cool. No biggie though I may just do a similis colony

Well bam! Shellies are cool man I didn't realize we were talking about more than one species I just read what he said and typed in my thoughts.

Nice well I've got to fix my fountain and get my goldfish outside and my catfish in the other tank, tear down the tank pull the dirt and gravel replace it with crushed coral and so on.

I would be careful with sea shells, but I do use saltwater turbo snail shells with mine, but they get thoroughly cleaned. Escargot shells work best

Back
Top Bottom