100 gallon malawi update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay. I haven't been around in a while. I've been hanging out at the cichlid forum (which happens to be set up very similar to this forum) b/c I'm setting up an all-male hap/peacock show tank. My tank is an Oceanview 100 gallon tank that is 60X20X20. It is just the right size not to overwhelm the room that it is in and it was far less expensive than the 180 I wanted. It also is much lighter so I don't worry about the floor as much. Anyway, I used a 3-way mix of Eco-complete cichlid sand, pool filter sand from an established aquarium, and tahitan moon sand. The sand looks like a bright salt-and-pepper. I aquascaped with feather rock from Lowes and plastic vals. The feather rock had to undergo extensive sanding before I could use it. The lights are 2-20 watt, 18,000K Aqua-Glos and I plan to add much more lighting when I build my DIY canopy. I've got one of those ballast kits. I've got one 300 watt Rena Basic heater and 2 AC 110s (500s) fitted with Filter Max III prefilters that keep the water in check. I plan on adding a Rena Filstar XP3 fitted with the Filter Max III and maybe an inline heater later when I start to overload the tank. All the African cichlid people say to overstock the tank to dilute aggression, which seems to work well for an all-male show tank. Right now my stock in the tank is as follows:
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Red and Blue, Unknown hybrid)
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Sunshine Unknown, Benga?, Unknown hybrid)
Aulonocara (hybrid I think w/ blue and red ventral fins?)
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Ruby Crystal, Unknown hybrid)
(2) Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka" jacobfriedbergi type (probably keep dominant male)
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Ngara)
Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Maleri Is., Yellow Regal)
Sciaenochromis fryeri??? (Electric Blue Ahli) I'm not sure yet.
(2) Labidochromis caeruleus maybe 2 more (Electric Yellow Lab)

I plan to get from local breeders (mainly) and online purchases:
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Aulonocara maulana (Bi-Color 500)
Aulonocara stuartgranti, hansbaenschi (Chiloelo, Red Shoulder)Aulonocara stuartgranti (Cobue)
Aulonocara sp. "Walteri"
Aulonocara stuartgranti (Sanga)
Placidochromis/Otopharynx sp. "Blue Otter"
Copadichromis sp. "Mloto Fluorescent"
Copadichromis chrysonotus
Otopharynx lithobates (Zimbabwe Rock)
Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwan Reef)
Protomelas taeniolatus (Red Empress)
Placidochromis phenochilus

I know that is a lot of fish but I plan on returning some of the hybrids that may or may not look nice. Still, 20-25 fish is not unheard of with this type of setup.

Sorry if you don't like lengthy epistles but many of you guys got me started with tanks over a year ago and I felt compelled to share what I've been up to.

Congratulations on your progress with the tank. I can't wait to see pics. I have a 125 cichlid tank with mbuna/peacocks. Not all male though. Your tank sounds exciting. Are you planting it at all? I have a few plants in the cichlid tank and the only ones they don't eat it seems are the onion plants. I am not going for a fully planted tank though. What size are most of your fish currently?

I'm only going with plastic plants. All of my fish are juveniles right now (1.5-2.25") except for one 3" Ngara peacock. I'm planning on stocking with all juvies early as I've read that that suppresses agression as opposed to adding adult fish.

love it all hope you post pictures soon cant wait to see it...question is your aqua scape going to provide enough hiding places for all the cichlids? never too many hiding places in regards to a cichlid tank. have fun with your tank must be exiting sounds great to me and i havent even seen it!

Back
Top Bottom