10g quarantine tank with stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ulrichsd

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, maybe a dumb idea and would defeat the purpose of a qt tank, but I was thinking of getting a 10g qt tank and figured if i am setting up a second tank it would be nice to have more than just an empty tank. Plus it will have the advantage off being established/cycled. Any ideas?

3 Synodontis lucipinnis / dwarf petricola?
Snails?
Just a planted tank?

I will be stocking my 60g with demasoni, yellow labs and acei.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That completely defeats the purpose lol a QT tank you want to be free of plants, substrate, fish, etc. many medicines and treatments will hurt inverts and plants, and if you have a sick fish, you don't want to introduce disease or sickness to another tank

I was thinking more of a time-out tank than a hospital tank as I thought I might need this for mbuna, but yeah it would eliminate being able to use it as a hospital tank. I thought maybe a planted tank could work as a hospital tank in a pinch but didn't realize the medicine might hurt the plants.

I don't have room behind my current tank for a hob filter so I was thinking I could do something to keep a second tank established so it's ready when needed.

Thanks for the info!

keep an air powered box filter running in the main tank, you can just grab water and the box filter out when u need a hospital,QT or fry tank and you have an instantly cycled tank..

Daveho, - Interesting, I I'm thinking maybe an air powered sponge filter in the main tank and then I could use it for a fry tank too if needed and not have to worry about them getting sucked in?

I use a ten gallon for my 55 as a QT/ hospital tank just fine.

It's completely empty, just a heater and a sponge filter. I do daily water changes when a fish is in there, unless treating.

A larger tank would be better, but I have no problems with mine. It's been a good QT, and good time out tank for my adult peacocks with no problems.

My advice, if you already have a 10 and are thinking of using it, go for it.

If you don't have one and where thinking of buying one, buy a bigger one atleast a 20 long.

I thought about getting a larger one, but I have all the stock I want now.

keep an air powered box filter running in the main tank, you can just grab water and the box filter out when u need a hospital,QT or fry tank and you have an instantly cycled tank..

This is what I do. I have 2 sponge filters in my 55, and one I'm not using. When I need to use my time out tank, I take one of the sponge filters for the small tank, and replace it with the new one.

I was originally wondering if i could get away with a 5.5g tank so I can store it in my cabinet. My biggest fish is acei, max 6" and that would be a 16"x8" footprint so maybe a little too small even for a single fish.

But a 20g qt tank? I think I'd be too tempted to buy more fish to put in it. :)

I was originally wondering if i could get away with a 5.5g tank so I can store it in my cabinet. My biggest fish is acei, max 6" and that would be a 16"x8" footprint so maybe a little too small even for a single fish.

But a 20g qt tank? I think I'd be too tempted to buy more fish to put in it. :)

I've got a 20 long and a 40b that I can put together as QT's at anytime.

ive got a ton of 5g but to be fair i keep shell dwellers so i can use them as grow out tanks too lol

This is what I do. I have 2 sponge filters in my 55, and one I'm not using. When I need to use my time out tank, I take one of the sponge filters for the small tank, and replace it with the new one.

What do you do to "clean" out the sponge filter after you have used it in the QT tank (assuming you are quarantining a sick fish)?

I have taken this approach as well, two extra sponge filters in my main tank and an empty 10G for a QT, but haven't had to put the plan into action yet. I have wondered if I would need to replace the sponges, it is there something I could do to sterilize/clean them that wouldn't destroy the foam, so that it can be put back into the main tank to be reseeded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am more concerned with passing a pathogen in the filter back into the main tank. A true quarantine set up is usually 100% isolated, it's own filter, heater, net, etc...

I am more concerned with passing a pathogen in the filter back into the main tank. A true quarantine set up is usually 100% isolated, it's own filter, heater, net, etc...

Right. See what I have done, is I take one out of my big tank for the QT, so it's cycled and ready to go. I put a new one in the big tank so it doesn't suffer. When I'm done with the QT, I'll either throw it away and get a new one. Or that one becomes the spare one, so it gets completely dry, waiting to be used. And pathogens won't survive.
Depends on the pathogen though. And your plans.
If you know what your treating, you plan accordingly, or if you know your going to be adding more fish, or using it again soon. Just keep it running.

Yes that's correct. But a QT is for new fish. A hospital is just that. When in a hospital, meds are used and then WC's and finally the addition of carbon to help remove the meds. Anything that is used in a QT is or hospital will be clean enough to put back in a DT without worry.

Thanks guys.

I should probably mention my motto at work is, "sure I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?"

I guess it follows me home as well.

If only my wife would let me get a 240 gallon I could use the the 60g as my quarantine tank :)

If only my wife would let me get a 240 gallon I could use the the 60g as my quarantine tank :)

Ya no kidding, I found a 200 gallon with a 90 gallon sump for $200.00 and she said no! "We don't have the space"

Back
Top Bottom