Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

10g quarantine tank with stocking?

Ok, maybe a dumb idea and would defeat the purpose of a qt tank, but I was thinking of getting a 10g qt tank and figured if i am setting up a second tank it would be nice to have more than just an empty tank. Plus it will have the advantage off being established/cycled. Any ideas?

3 Synodontis lucipinnis / dwarf petricola?
Snails?
Just a planted tank?

I will be stocking my 60g with demasoni, yellow labs and acei.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 06-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That completely defeats the purpose lol a QT tank you want to be free of plants, substrate, fish, etc. many medicines and treatments will hurt inverts and plants, and if you have a sick fish, you don't want to introduce disease or sickness to another tank

Old 06-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking more of a time-out tank than a hospital tank as I thought I might need this for mbuna, but yeah it would eliminate being able to use it as a hospital tank. I thought maybe a planted tank could work as a hospital tank in a pinch but didn't realize the medicine might hurt the plants.

I don't have room behind my current tank for a hob filter so I was thinking I could do something to keep a second tank established so it's ready when needed.

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

keep an air powered box filter running in the main tank, you can just grab water and the box filter out when u need a hospital,QT or fry tank and you have an instantly cycled tank..
Old 06-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Daveho, - Interesting, I I'm thinking maybe an air powered sponge filter in the main tank and then I could use it for a fry tank too if needed and not have to worry about them getting sucked in?

Old 06-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a ten gallon for my 55 as a QT/ hospital tank just fine.

It's completely empty, just a heater and a sponge filter. I do daily water changes when a fish is in there, unless treating.

A larger tank would be better, but I have no problems with mine. It's been a good QT, and good time out tank for my adult peacocks with no problems.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My advice, if you already have a 10 and are thinking of using it, go for it.

If you don't have one and where thinking of buying one, buy a bigger one atleast a 20 long.

I thought about getting a larger one, but I have all the stock I want now.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveho View Post
keep an air powered box filter running in the main tank, you can just grab water and the box filter out when u need a hospital,QT or fry tank and you have an instantly cycled tank..

This is what I do. I have 2 sponge filters in my 55, and one I'm not using. When I need to use my time out tank, I take one of the sponge filters for the small tank, and replace it with the new one.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was originally wondering if i could get away with a 5.5g tank so I can store it in my cabinet. My biggest fish is acei, max 6" and that would be a 16"x8" footprint so maybe a little too small even for a single fish.

But a 20g qt tank? I think I'd be too tempted to buy more fish to put in it.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrilah fish View Post
This is what I do. I have 2 sponge filters in my 55, and one I'm not using. When I need to use my time out tank, I take one of the sponge filters for the small tank, and replace it with the new one.

+1. Can't go wrong this way.

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, stock, stocking, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com