120 Stout Tanganyikan stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freakgecko91

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, one of the rare times I'm going to actually start my own thread!

So, here's the situation:

I found a 120 stout (48.5"L x 24.5"D x 25.25"H as quoted by the craigslister) I wanna buy (even if Mog says it's above resale value). So I am pretty sure I'm gonna stick with my love for Tanganyikan fish, however, I still want the tank to seem stocked and not empty.

Current Tangs I own:
TANK ONE, 20 long
8 Neolamprologus multifasctiatus
2 Spathodus erythrodon 'Burundi'
5 lophiobagrus cyclurus (dwarf tang bullhead cats)
1 synodontis petricola.
TANK TWO 39 column
2 Neolamprologus ocellatus 'purple'
1 Neolamprologus brichardi (his face is deformed, felt bad for him)

So for the stout, I'm debating on who would be moved out of the 20 long/39 column. I was thinking of moving the ocellatus into the 20, leaving the gobies (they're a breeding pair but the multis stress the female out when she's holding and she ends up swallowing them.

I would add the multis, bullheads, and syno (add a few more for him as well).

So that leaves me with what else I should add. Cyprichromis of some sort for sure (thinking microlepidotus, a store back home in Michigan breeds them). Any other ideas? I'd like some larger fish, but I'm having trouble thinking up more peaceful tangs that could go with shellies and the likes.

Stantenislandcichlids, gillie, mog, calling you guys!

I know you didn't call me but I'll gladly follow and bump the thread! If you need help with leds ill be here;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well looks like this may not work out. The guy wants $50 more than my highest offer, which is still $100 above what Mog suggested to me :/ Guess I'll keep looking for tanks, but this question of stocking still stands

About time you get another big tank

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

About time you get another big tank

Yeah, I've been getting the itch lately, and my old 75 has my bearded dragons in it. With the money I've been making from my new job, as well as selling some baby dragons I've just hatched, id say I deserve a big tank again! Still thinking about another geophagus tank or pair of uaru, but that 4 foot is gonna be tough :/ small apartment. Talked to my roommate about a big tank and he was all for it. Decision, decisions!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Where do you live?

Just outside of DC (2 minutes north of the district really)

Oh, too bad....there's been a brand be new 6' tank on boston cl for a while now.

Geophagus gets my vote!

Some of my favorite tanganykian cichlids are cyprichromis leptosoma and xenotilapia melanogenys( I think they changed the genus name). I don't if they would work but they aren't really aggressive.

Well I would have suggested leaving the multies where they are, putting the gobies in the 120 with cyprichromis leptosoma jumbo Mpimbwe and finding a source for xenotilapia papilio or nigrolabiata. I've been eyeballing a 220 setup for a couple months now if I end up with it I'll probably get back into some tangs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I would have suggested leaving the multies where they are, putting the gobies in the 120 with cyprichromis leptosoma jumbo Mpimbwe and finding a source for xenotilapia papilio or nigrolabiata. I've been eyeballing a 220 setup for a couple months now if I end up with it I'll probably get back into some tangs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hence why I called for you! Thanks for those suggestions. I was also thinking of doing a tropheus/petro species instead of a tang community and putting the gobies in with them but not sure

Petro if I go to a longer/bigger tank of course

Lol do it jump into trophs......and move the gobies.....or I agree with gillie and his suggestion is on spot.....I got some callochromis if you want lol and some melangenys

My Spathodus erythrodon "Burundi" male was just laying dead in the shell nests of my multies....awesome....can't really replace him easily given the variant. Looks like the big tank will get a new pair of gobies

Back
Top Bottom