125 gallon lake malawi build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vance1013

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i picked a 125 gallon tank and stand over the weekend and i decided after reading so much about chiclids ive decided to do a chiclid tank and what better than to start with than a125 gallon lol any tips advice and suggestions along the way would be great right now im in the middle of cleaning and stripping the old silicone to reseal the tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121219_002622.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121219_002622.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 234
  • ForumRunner_20121219_002642.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121219_002642.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 250
  • ForumRunner_20121219_002702.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121219_002702.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 226
  • ForumRunner_20121219_002720.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121219_002720.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 230
Trust me I'm not the person to ask lol. I always get so frustrated with it and start scraping seriously

Trust me I'm not the person to ask lol. I always get so frustrated with it and start scraping seriously

Lol i can understand that im just going to take my time so i do it right the first time what is a good aquarium safe silicone to use ive silicone 1 or something like that being talked about being used

GE silicone 1 for windows and doors is safe. Or you can get aquarium safe silicone at most pet stores like petsmart however I think (emphasis on think) its more expensive

So nothing done tonight been hanging Christmas lights since i got off work to tired lol will start more scraping tomorrow hopefully get the rest up then good solid clean then ive got to wait for payday to get silicone lol ive got another tank that needs serious cleaning as well atleast that'll keep me busy for awhile also on the hunt for a 30 gallon free or cheap to start on the sump

Ok so ive been researching sumps as much as possible i understand how the sump works the only thing im having trouble with finding is a good diagram that explains how many chambers, where does the filter media go and for the pump return do i just run the line up and into the tank? So any advice or diagrams and pictures would we be much appreciated thanks again

Thank you that helps alot now the return line do i just run it into the tank or anything special

I always put a check valve up at the top right before it goes into the tank. Also I use a ball valve somewhere on that line that you can easily get to, its to adjust the flow if needed.

Thank you now i can start checkin local hardware stores for everything oh and whats a good size for the pvc pipe

Ok so the same day i got my 125 i had picked a free tank from craigslist after taking measurements i found out it is a 29 gallon my plan was to make that my wife's tank but after she just told me to use that as my sump cause id been scouring cl for a 29 or 30 she said just use that so that parts covered now (y)

I've never used pvc for the input tube so I'm hoping someone else chimes in on that. If it was me I'd probably use half inch.

That's great she is gonna let you use it :) so you can get the ball rolling on the sump and all.

Edit

With the intake tube I'd get whatever size fits the pump you bought, if not half. Idk sorry I couldn't be much help on that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom