125 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
very close to getting a 125 gallon tank, what kind of stocking is possible for this. I want cichlids but i am a cichlid noob. I want color and fish that get pretty big, but still want a decent number of them in the tank.

Check out the Malawi cichlids. I love em a lot. Check out the yellow labs and the Kenyis they are beautiful here are a picture of my fry

Attachments

• image-1325033987.jpg
    image-1325033987.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 120
  • image-2784193482.jpg
    image-2784193482.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1885877519.jpg
    image-1885877519.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2242133081.jpg
    image-2242133081.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 117
when stocking do you want to try and keep cichlids from the same area? for example only keep malawis? or can you mix south american and malawi together?

Very nice chiclids! Beautiful colors. Some chiclids get alomg and some dont. Im not sure about those but my tiger oscar and jack dempsy did not like each other.

I have a 150G African Cichlid tank that has been up for 2 years now. When I started the tank I mixed Africans and south americans. Had 2 jacks and 2 green terrors. Jacks were gone before the first 6 months was up because I realized I had a few of my Africans missing. Green terrors weren't as aggressive but the bigger they got the bigger their attitudes got so they went out the door within the first year too. But I know that there are some south american species that aren't extremely aggressive, such as fire mouths, rams, and ruby clowns that could be possible to mix with other Africans that are on the mild side as well.

Its really all just one big experiment. With careful planning it is possible to mix in larger tanks and still have success, but, it is generally said to stock one or the other to save yourself the frustration of having WW3 in your tank.

ya i am researching fish and am interested in having a good amount of fish in the tank not just 1 super aggressive one

That is correct about the dimpsys but the malwis all male tanks are fine in groups if you are going to put females in the tank make sure you have 3 females to ever male

IMO with what little cichlid knowledge I have, I suggest you don't mix cichlids from different continents, it's kind of a general rule. Not only does aggression increase, but most ARLC prefer entirely different water parameters than New World cichlids.

bruinsbro1997 said:
IMO with what little cichlid knowledge I have, I suggest you don't mix cichlids from different continents, it's kind of a general rule. Not only does aggression increase, but most ARLC prefer entirely different water parameters than New World cichlids.

Yep, plus they have completely different levels of aggression

Malawi mbuna or peacocks would be the best choices for size/color in a 125. You can fit more mbuna than peacocks, but mixing them is a bit more difficult. Peacocks aren't as diversified in their habitat choices and/or aggression levels as mbuna. Definitely best to stock one type of fish though, and forget about mixing SA or CA cichlids with African rift lake species.
Check out cichlid-forum.com and spend some time reading some of the various posts regarding mixing different species. Pretty much any posible combination will be found/discussed there, and you can save yourself quite a bit of trouble (and $$) by researching thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom