125 malawi set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm setting up a 125 Malawi lake aquarium. What species should I stock it with? Anybody have any tips on Malawi cichlids? I've only done tangynikan and south American before.

One of my favorites is the Red Zebra, great color I have 4 right now in my tank. Kenyi are popular, simple fish, good color also. Some turn more of a yellow, some stay really blue, the alpha I have is almost all black all the time and sometimes shows some blue.

I have a yellow lab male who is about 2 inches..He is getting beat up in my tank. He is in my sump, hes yours if you want him. My wife named him Rocky because hes a fighter...I also have a 12 inch common pleco that needs a bigger home if your intrested. I have a pic of him . His name is Zues...Check out this thread. Lots of good ideas on tanks, stocking and setups. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/post-your-malawi-set-up-pics-here-170582-10.html

These are the species I was thinking of:

Labidochromis "Mbamba"
Cynotilapia sp. "hara" Gallireya Reef

Melanochromis auratus
Pseudotropheus Crabro
Metriaclima Callainos
Labidochromis Caeruleus
Pseudotropheus sp. Demasoni
Metriaclima estherae
Pseudotropheus socolofi "Albino"

Maybe not all of them, as my favorites are the yellow labs, the red zebras, and the Demasoni. Would all of them be compatible? They're all lake Malawi Mbuna Cichlids. Can anyone give me a suggested stock list from these species?:thanks:

What you just listed is exactly what I have. Labs, zebras, and Demasoni. I I have 2 red zebras and 2 albino zebras. The white ones are awesome!...Your stock list looks good but pick 4-5 and stick with that. You can go with syndontis cats, or sharks if you want. I would steer clear of the auratus, and the Crabro. They are on the list of most aggressive. If you decide on Demasoni I would get about 12 no less.

You put a fish in your sump? Under the tank? Is that healthy? Or humane for that matter lol?

You put a fish in your sump? Under the tank? Is that healthy? Or humane for that matter lol?

The sump is 10 gallons with live rock in it. It is in the light during the day. No its not humane, but then again neither is letting him get killed in my main. Its the only option i had at the moment...Im trying to adopt him out to Herpmommy...LMAO!

I have fish in my sump all the time. It's the baby raiser or beat up fish holder if needed. Right now I probably have 4 babies in it

My sump is like 40 gallons though. Lol. Its a full tank

I have a Malawi setup too :D you could put bumblebee cichlid, Kenyi ,red zebra, electric yellow lab. All cool fish I have them all but bumblebee the bumblebee looks cool! Albinos are cool too . All Malawi cichlids are compatible good luck!

Remember you can mix and match just about anything. Unless you want a specific type of fish type. I like mixing stuff together

The sump is 10 gallons with live rock in it. It is in the light during the day. No its not humane, but then again neither is letting him get killed in my main. Its the only option i had at the moment...Im trying to adopt him out to Herpmommy...LMAO!

I'll take him. The tank is still cycling, I have about 2 more weeks. You're offering him for free correct?

Back
Top Bottom