125g African setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 60g planted tank that I’m about to upgrade to a 125g tank I got for 100 bucks. I need help figuring out everything I will need for this tank.
1. Substrate - do I need a special substrate (sand, gravel, special caribsea substrate) I think I like tanks with darker substrate to hide poop
2. Filtration- I am thinking about running either a fx4 and a 303b sunsun I already have. Or maybe a fx6 and the sunsun 303b as extra biomedia
3. Lights- right now I have a 48” 10k beamworks led from eBay. I figured I’d have to get a larger light since the tank will be a 72” tank. But it won’t have to be anything special since I won’t be growing plants.
4. Stock- I really know nothing about African cichlids but from what I’ve seen I really like peacocks and haps,or just a male only peacock tank sounds like a good idea from what I’ve read.
What is the clean up crew in these tanks though, I’d rather stay away from a 2ft long common pleco.
How do I stock it I’m sure every fish I’ll buy will be a juvenile at first so does that mean I try and stock all 30 fish up front so there aren’t any aggression issues from adding new fish in periodically?
4. Decor- from what I’ve seen other than the substrate a pile of bigger rocks across the bottom just to give it a little more than an empty tank seems normal
5.accessories- other than probably two heaters for a big tank like that will I need powerheads, air stones, spongefilters etc??? How much flow can these fish take without causing issue

Back
Top Bottom