125g ideas "Newbie Research"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillygirl423

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I'm getting a 125g tank and I want to do cichlids!! Soooo...as far as aesthetics go these are my favs so far:

Yellow labs
Salousi
Powder blue
Red zebra
Yellow tailed acei
Pseudotropheus demasoni

Really need advice on how to figure out who I can and can't have together. Can I even do a mixed tank?

sillygirl423 said:
Okay so I'm getting a 125g tank and I want to do cichlids!! Soooo...as far as aesthetics go these are my favs so far:

Yellow labs
Salousi
Powder blue
Red zebra
Yellow tailed acei
Pseudotropheus demasoni

Really need advice on how to figure out who I can and can't have together. Can I even do a mixed tank?

U can do a mixed tank its just best to make sure there all from the same region of the same lake for the most part...sounds like u want a mbuna tank from ur list so stick to all mbuna cichlids

My favorites r auratus, johannis, and pseudotropheus zebras...labs and rusties r nice too

Mrc8858 said:
U can do a mixed tank its just best to make sure there all from the same region of the same lake for the most part...sounds like u want a mbuna tank from ur list so stick to all mbuna cichlids

So I can do these guys together? And how many species can I have to have a good ratio and not overstock.

Imo with the size tank that u got u could do about 30-40 cichlids with pretty much as many compatible species as ud like but the labs in particular will do better with more of its own kind... if I was stocking it id maybe do like 1/5 ratio on em all or just strictly all males.. with cichlids though a lot of ppl advise overstalking to keep the aggression down to a minimum.. id look into the acei though cuz I'm not to sure

Should be but just remember every fishes temperament is different so ull need to keep an eye on them and weed out the overly aggressive ones

The only thing with ur selection is there's a good chance of spawning hybrids so it just depends where u stand on that subject

Not in all cases cichlids r known for there parenting so if u leave them to breed in the community tank expect a couple to make it from each brood

If ur not concerned about it then no lol its pretty much all about the person u just might have to rehome a few every now and then or get another tank haha...for the forbids though I'm not sure

Back
Top Bottom