125g options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 125 gallon tank which has one black convict (6 months old) and one green severum (2 months old). I am aware of that I mixed SA/CA. I am wondering what my stocking options are at this point.

I was thinking of including:
Firemouths and/or eartheaters
Buenos Aries Tetras
Skunk loaches
Maybe another severum (this is one of my favorite cichlids)

I know that I might not be able to add everything above and maybe there are better options out there. This is why am asking for advice because I'm not sure how many of each fish I can add.

I really love firemouths, but I also would like to try eartheaters at some point.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm thinking that my post might have been too vague for somebody to provide advice. I found out that the eartheater species that I was looking into is called satanoperca jurupari. Does anyone have experience with this fish?

I can rehome the convict if necessary and just do a sa tank. I currently do not know what direction to go, but I love the severum's personality and would like to add fish to compliment it. Would the eartheaters above work, should I add another severum, would Bolivian Rams be a better option, or could I mix with the ca cichlids listed before, or does something go better with the green severum that I am not listing?

Just looking for stocking advice so that I can start researching directions to go into.

I would say

2 Severum
2-4 Eartheaters
10 Buenos Aries
8 Corydoras (a bigger species, perhaps aeneus or brochis) or 5-6 Yoyo Loaches

The skunks would be too agro for the tetras. Corydoras would do well. I think rehoming the convict would be a good idea. I've heard they don't do well with tetras and smaller bottom dwellers.

Thank you for the feedback. I was on aqadvisor earlier today. I was just unsure if the severum and satanoperca jurupari would be good together. I really do not know much about the satanoperca jurupari and was wondering others options before I head a direction that I might not be happy with.

Thank you again.

Thank you for the feedback. I was on aqadvisor earlier today. I was just unsure if the severum and satanoperca jurupari would be good together. I really do not know much about the satanoperca jurupari and was wondering others options before I head a direction that I might not be happy with.

Thank you again.

Satanoperca jurupari – Demon Eartheater (Geophagus jurupari) — Seriously Fish Says that tank mates should be peaceful, large, and require the same water params. I think Sev's are good to go. Be careful if they start breeding however. You might need to make a divider then.

In my experience its ok to mix CA/SA. I would keep the single convict and severum. I would do a stock like this
4 severums
1 Convict
5 pictus catfiish or 4 clown loaches or 6 skunk loaches

I wouldnt add any tetras with this list but honestly I would keep the convict and ditch the tetras they are a lot more interesting and personable then a schooling fish like tetras just my opinion.

Is a satanoperca jurupari, really a geophagus? I have seen several post where people state that they love the behavior of the geos. Does this fish fit into this group? If not can you please let me know the Latin name for the geos that are commonly discussed? I would like to look into them. Thank you.

Is a satanoperca jurupari, really a geophagus? I have seen several post where people state that they love the behavior of the geos. Does this fish fit into this group? If not can you please let me know the Latin name for the geos that are commonly discussed? I would like to look into them. Thank you.

The two main genera of true eartheaters are geophagus (altifrons, abalios, brasiliensis, pindare, etc.) and satanoperca (daemon, jurupari, leucosticta, etc.). Then there are other genera associated with the earth eater subfamily (geophaginae) are acarichthys (heckelli), guiancara (stergiosi, geai, owroewefi, etc.), mikrogeophagus (ramirezi, altispinosa), gymnogeophagus (meridionalis, balzanii, el norte, etc.), and biotodoma (cupido, wavrini, etc.).

Retroculus are very similar to geophaginae species, however, are not currently included in that subfamily. Some species examples are lapidifer and xinguensis.

If you're looking for the "true" earth eaters, look into geophagus. Most of the surinamensis-complex (altifrons, pindare, dicrozoster, abalios, sp. tapajos I and II, etc) are pretty laid back and have nice colors. Brasiliensis-complex species will generally be more of loners, and more on the aggressive side.

Extremely helpful! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom