15 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. I have a 15 imperial gallon tank which I think equates to 17 US gallons roughly. Are there any chichlids that could stay in a tank that size. Even if I just had a pair?

Thanks

Microgeophagus, Apistogramma, Pelvicachromis, Lamprologus are a few genera that include small cichlids and a good jumping off point for research. Of course, that is not an exhaustive list. :)

Hi. I have a 15 imperial gallon tank which I think equates to 17 US gallons roughly. Are there any chichlids that could stay in a tank that size. Even if I just had a pair?

Thanks

I'd look into dwarf South Americans or the shell dwellers from Africa. I've only kept dwarf South Americans like German blue rams and apistogramma but there are some others as well. The shell dwellers are cool because they basically live in shells lol

Ok thanks I'll look in to both. Although I like my fish I think I need a change and would prefer slow movers with a bit of colour. Just before I go ahead and research. How many are we looking at of these types if I was to mix and match or just stick to one kind. Also would a handful of corys be pushing it?

Ok thanks I'll look in to both. Although I like my fish I think I need a change and would prefer slow movers with a bit of colour. Just before I go ahead and research. How many are we looking at of these types if I was to mix and match or just stick to one kind. Also would a handful of corys be pushing it?

A group of cories would be fine with the apistogramma, or rams but the shell dwellers are species only I'm pretty sure.

Depends on the species and the dimensions of the tank IMO. Some apistos are larger than others. Some corydoras are a lot larger than others. Apistos and rams stay almost exclusively in the bottom 1/2 of the tank, so you don't want to overcrowd them. :)

Tanganyikan shell dwellers are not *necessarily* limited to species only setups, but in a tank this size they certainly would be.

Can you get dwarf angelfish? I would like a small shoal of corys. I have lots if plants also. Would you recommend removing ornaments and putting a medium sized sunken bog branch in or something. Also have medium gravel chippings and not sure if this would harms the corys mouths.

Nope. Pterophyllum leopoldi is the smallest species of angelfish, but it isn't really a dwarf. Leopoldi are much more difficult to find than scalare.

Tanganyikan shell dwellers are not *necessarily* limited to species only setups, but in a tank this size they certainly would be.

Ah was not sure thanks! I agree with the angel as well, my leopoldi is about 6 inches tall and 4 inches long and is in a 29. I would no put him in anything less.

image-1893217037.jpg

That was about 4 months ago and he looks small but he isn't.

Back
Top Bottom