150g cichlid tank with fire eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAwrangler08

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup or similar? I was looking to start my 150g tank with a fire eels, discus, red devil and some time of bottom feeder. I'm not sure how they would all get along. Any suggestions or ideas is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Blair.

You just named two species of fish on complete ends of the aggression spectrum...discus should never be housed with a red devil, that would basically be throwing several hundred dollars down the drain

You just named two species of fish on complete ends of the aggression spectrum...discus should never be housed with a red devil, that would basically be throwing several hundred dollars down the drain

I apologize for my ignorance. Still pretty new to this. Would eliminating the red devil work with fire eel and discus or fire eel and red devil?

Fire eel and red devil (or actually midevil, as nearly all Red Devils or Midas cichlids in the fish trade today are a hybrid of the two) might work, but Red Devils are known to be pretty territorial

have you done any research on discus? they require much more care than your average tropical fish. most discus tanks are based on discus, then have a few other small fish with them.

have you done any research on discus? they require much more care than your average tropical fish. most discus tanks are based on discus, then have a few other small fish with them.

Minimal to be honest. That's why I am asking for suggestions/help. I have never had discus before. Or red devil or fire eel. I was hoping to get some information that would point me in the right direction so I can learn more about these fish.

Minimal to be honest. That's why I am asking for suggestions/help. I have never had discus before. Or red devil or fire eel. I was hoping to get some information that would point me in the right direction so I can learn more about these fish.

well for discus it would have to be a discus based tank with other small fish mates. red devils can be extremely aggressive and the only tank mates suggested for them are large plecos and catfish. fire eels can be housed with larger cichlids that aren't as aggressive as red devils such as an oscar

A fire eel could work with discus but I would suggest a species only tank. Fire eels get very large and he might not have enough room with discus in the tank.

well for discus it would have to be a discus based tank with other small fish mates. red devils can be extremely aggressive and the only tank mates suggested for them are large plecos and catfish. fire eels can be housed with larger cichlids that aren't as aggressive as red devils such as an oscar

Maybe I am going down the wrong road then. I love the idea of colorful tropical fish and a fire eel. And as weird as it sounds I would like so feed something other than flakes everyday.p, such as worms, krill, etc. and I would like a variety of fish. I don't know if this helps or if I am just all over the place here. Again sorry for my ignorance.

Fire eel kind of limits you. They get pretty aggressive when they get older. Once again they get very large

A fire eel could work with discus but I would suggest a species only tank. Fire eels get very large and he might not have enough room with discus in the tank.

A fire eel would not work with discus, far too aggressive and piscivorous. They would try to snack on discus and any dither fish used to bring the discus out of hiding more

A fire eel would not work with discus, far too aggressive and piscivorous. They would try to snack on discus and any dither fish used to bring the discus out of hiding more

I guess I will be looking around a bit mor than while my tank is going through its cycle. I like bright colors and their tropical look. Almost oddball.

Do their parameters even match??

Yes. pH all in between low 7 and very high 7 or very low 8. And temps all in high 70's low 80's.

If this is your first tank, I'd shy away from discus, they can be quite finicky and definitely are not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom