150g Mbuna Finally Complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yep, moved... it sucked, but im glad I did. Having all the rocks out was both a blessing and torture. it took 8 five and six gallon buckets to move all the rock

I hear you on that. It took me a wheelbarrel and one of those rubbermade totes to get my rock to the new place. I'm glad you got yours set up cuz lord knows how much not having it done weighs on the mind. Good stuff though

Mine is 5x2x2... i think most 150g tanks are 6' though...

Making mine that size because I'm building it into a wall that is 8' wide. How long is the wall that you have your tank against so that I can have an idea how big mine will look :) ?

I'm emailing my connections today to see how much glass will cost me.

well, i cant find a tape measure right now, but it looks like about 1.5-2' on each side... so i'd say somewhere around 8-10 feet... if i can find it, ill give you an exact measurement though ;)

LMK if you ever want to upgrade to a 6 foot tank. I'd be glad to take this one off your hands ;)

Tank looks awesome rookie! You should be having babies any time now. My 140G tank has about 20 babies in it right now. They are breeding like...................cichlids....LOL

LMK if you ever want to upgrade to a 6 foot tank. I'd be glad to take this one off your hands ;)

Haha, it is for sale on CL, for $950.... I figured I'd post it for sale, but I seriously doubt anybody around here will want to pay more than $50 lol

Tank looks awesome rookie! You should be having babies any time now. My 140G tank has about 20 babies in it right now. They are breeding like...................cichlids....LOL
Thanks Tim! I have a female peacock holding right now... I'm making plans on setting up a 10g barebottom growout tank for the fry soon. She just spit 35+ fry a few days before the guy gave her to me :)

i like it

where do you get rock can i just get some off the ground an rise them well or what ?

Very bad idea..rocks from outside can contain different metals and really harm your water. Rocks from some streams and ponds could possibly work but the best way to test would be to pour some vinegar on the rock and if it starts bubbling then it contains metals

Haha, it is for sale on CL, for $950.... I figured I'd post it for sale, but I seriously doubt anybody around here will want to pay more than $50 lol

NO WAY! Are you really going to sell? Going larger? I can't go larger than the 150g. I'd have to move to a larger house :)

The rock info is not accurate... It is good if you dont want your ph to be high, but for an african cichlid tank (which mine is) a high ph is good. Also, please tell me where to get rocks, severumguy, if I dont get them outside? All rocks come from outside... As for the vinegar test, and as logansmamma pointed out with the ph down, that does not mean it contains metals, it means it will raise the ph if the ph is less than 7.8-8

What's up Jonathan! You said it right, the mild acid vinegar test simply tells you if the rock is soft and chalky, and will dissolve in your tank, like limestone... FWIW, you might WANT limestone in your Rift Lake aquarium. I know I do! So if it bubbles, I am happy!

"Rocks from outside" can mean many, many different things... I hope I don't have to post ANOTHER picture of my 75 that is crammed to the brim with huge limestone "rocks from outside" and has been for two years... the billion fry in my tank must have adapted to all that metal, because they are doing wonderfully, lol...

I've always, always used bleach to disinfect the rock, and rinsed in a Prime wash. Never lost a fish, not once. This has been posted about a skillion times. People are so afraid of "rocks from outside" that they are willing to pay a hefty sum for rock from their LFS to the tune of many many $$$ per pound. I guess those rocks grew inside somewhere???

Back
Top Bottom