180 Gallon tank ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was planning on getting a 75 gallon tank this month...but just about an hour ago I found a guy selling a 180 gallon with everything included for less than what the pet store is asking for the 75. So now I'm wondering...what would you stock it with?

I was looking at doing mbunas in the 75, so I may go for those and just get more than I was planning. I am extremely fond of the williamsi blue lips if anyone has any ideas as far as numbers and tank mates.

But I'm also extremely open to looking into new world cichlids now due to the extra room.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could do almost any Central/South American in there with the exception of Dovii, Umbee, and some of the Veija/Parathraps long term.

My vote would be a pair of the larger cichlids or do a Central American "community " tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not large enough I don't think :-/

What are the dimensions? You could probably actually keep a really small potomotrygon species. Actually, i think you could even keep some SA cichlids with it. Granted, freshwater stingrays need insane amounts of upkeep, so maybe not what you're looking for.

You could do almost any Central/South American in there with the exception of Dovii, Umbee, and some of the Veija/Parathraps long term.

My vote would be a pair of the larger cichlids or do a Central American "community " tank.

+1 you could do a nice set up with that size tank ..

PS ,

MOG is the goto for that area ...

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 75 gal empty setting up for ????10gal & 56gal column cycled but no stock

Assuming it is a standard 180

South American #1
A big group of Geophagus on bottom, Uaru on the top, with a single big shoal of tetras.

South American #2
festae

Tanganyikan #1
Tropheus

Tanganyikan #2
Frontosa

It seems like a waste of a 180 to fill it with mbuna :)

It seems like a waste of a 180 to fill it with mbuna :)

Agreed, although I think anything that's no CA is a waste. ;)

The only "African Cichlid" that I would personally use a 100g + Aquarium on are larger Malawi Haps, and Feather fins ( Cyathopharynx/Ophthalmotilapia ).

I do not understand how you people remember all these names of fish haha. But awesome I'm about to look all these up. I'd love to have a freshwater stingray but you're right, I don't want to risk killing it by not knowing what I'm doing so I'll hold off on that one.

Well ****. The first thing I looked up was the potamotrygon, absolutely beautiful.

I love the frontosa.

I do not understand how you people remember all these names of fish haha. But awesome I'm about to look all these up. I'd love to have a freshwater stingray but you're right, I don't want to risk killing it by not knowing what I'm doing so I'll hold off on that one.

Lots of research!

If you're interested I can give you a list of names to look at.

It's a combination of really liking the particular fish enough to want to learn the names, learning names from hearing it a lot from other people, learning the scientific name after a wild goose chase because of a nonsensical common name, and the fact that saying scientific names makes me feel scientific and awesome :cool:

Freshwater stingrays require a lot of fairly expensive food, large water changes at least 3 times a week, barebottom/sandbottom undecorated tanks, and the fish themselves can cost you hundreds of dollars. They're really sensitive too, so one freak ammonia spike could put you out a $500 fish. That said, they are GORGEOUS and REALLY cool. Every time someone mentions a tank bigger than 150 gallons I think of them. But they're really only suitable for incredibly advanced fishkeepers, which is why I decided not to get one for my own 150 gallon. (Although as you might have guessed, I looked very seriously into getting one)

Yes please Mogurako, if you could give a list that'd be awesome.

And sinibotia I just looked at what you have in your 150, does everyone get along pretty well?

Yes please Mogurako, if you could give a list that'd be awesome.

And sinibotia I just looked at what you have in your 150, does everyone get along pretty well?

My 150 isn't quite ideal; needs some more giant danios. The cherry barb is a relic from my 26 gallon that I had to take down when I left for college; she's the only one left but I don't want to add more because they won't fare well when the current inhabitants get larger. Otherwise, everything gets along really well.

I set up a few spots specifically for the kuhlis and so they come out quite often without getting spooked by the larger fish, and although I worry because they are small enough to be eaten, the other fish seem to ignore them when they're out and they stay out of sight enough that it's a non-issue.

All of the severums were added at a very small size (1-2 inches) and I'm hoping as they grow they'll keep getting along. Not sure how big they are now, I'd have to skype my parents.

So, in short, yeah, everything is getting along really well, although the Severums are still just a few inches long. In theory, by the time they're full grown, a lot of the smaller fish will have passed on naturally, and what's left will be just the big boys- severums, clowns, pleco, and we'll probably keep up the school of giant danios.

(As an aside... all of the fish that seem out of place like khulis, upside down catfish, and there's a bumblebee catfish I forgot to mention in my sig- all of those fish were added by my mother on a whim, without even consulting me. I only found out when I saw them already in the tank)

Hahaha that's hilarious about your mom just adding fish. One more question, the biggest tank I've ever had was 55 gallons, how did you manage doing water changes on your 150? For the 55 I would just siphon into a bucket multiple times then fill buckets with clean treated water and pour those in the tank. But for a large tank like this that seems like it will be pretty tedious work.

For the 55 I would just siphon into a bucket multiple times then fill buckets with clean treated water and pour those in the tank. But for a large tank like this that seems like it will be pretty tedious work.
Get yourself a Python. Pretty much invaluable.

Get yourself a Python. Pretty much invaluable.

Yep a change on a 55 takes me about 20 minutes and the heaviest thing I lift is the lid.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom