180g South American cichlid build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ps. Looking good so far. I love the placement. I've always wanted a tank in an area like that!

If all your intakes are down one end as it looks in the pic I'd use a semi weak powerhead/ circ pump to guide debris back toward that end. I use them I'n my tank half the size and it prevent most of poop setting on sand

Recently got 2 red severums and I love them! Such peaceful fish

Well my first issue.

I have the filter going, but only 1 intake tube is actually pumping. The other starts and then seems to stop and then there doesn't seem to be any pressure in the tube to pump the water. It fills half way and stops. If I pinch the other line like the manual says, it will go but once I let go the other side, it stuuters and stops again.

Any Idea's?

So I got everything going, sand is in, put in a few fake plants and a few fake rock arrangements, Just gonna wait for some warmer weather to grab rocks for the other side of the tank.

Now I am starting the cycle with 3 Platy's 3 Tetra's and a Ram. They are from my existing tank. Is this enough fish to aid in the cycling process?? Or do I need to increase the bio load more??

will add an updated pic later.

Since I had the two filter pads and a case of media sitting in my smaller tank I have registered some numbers.

Last night.

Ammo - 0.5
Nitrite - 0.5
Nitrate - 5ppm
PH 7.8

Today after a water change

Ammo - 0.5
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - maybe 5ppm. Little darker then zero colour.
PH - 7.6

Since I want to SA's I need to get that PH down. Any advice?? I used PH 6.5 in my old tank to maintain it, but this is on a larger scale lol

You may need a ph buffer to bring it down but as I remember my SA cichlids just got used to my tap water so long as you don't get discus you should be fine I just kept mine in a consistent ph. To conclude if you lower the ph your going to have to keep doing it

Why do you honestly wanna alter your ph? There are natural ways that are way better then chemicals. A stable ph is better than a fluctuating ph. Most fish can adapt to a near neutral ph. If you wanna lower it try something like peat moss

I am fine keeping it as is. I just worry about the difference between the ph in my smaller tank to the new one. Just want to make the transfer process easy.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Updated pic. Need some rock and driftwood now.

Attachments

• 1391815438087.jpg
    1391815438087.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 119
Not yet. I think I am just going to reprime it my next day off.

Been months since ive posted on this forum.

I dont get why you want convicts?? I had them in my 150 for a lil while cuz i was like you. I liked em etc. then i bought a male (for $2 mind you) and it started trying to kill my more expensive fish. (Festae at $20+ each) so i took him out and all the other convicts (3 others) and have never had them since. When your going to spend that kind of money on that big of a tank and filter, i would get something that you cant find in every lfs across the world. Heres a list of amazing fish also, convicts are central american
Keep in mind im bit saying put all these together

VIEJA
Synspilium
Argenta
Bifaciatus
Black belt

AMPHILOPHUS (more aggressive family)

Red devils
Triamacs
Midas

Then theres
Jaguars
Motaguensis
Salvinis
Greeb terrors
Jack dempsey (verry common)
Grammodes
Oscar (very common)

Get some nice plecos
Royal
Gold nugget
Green phantom
Adonis
Red bushynose
Etc

My point is, there are hundreds, thousands of amazing fish to put in that tank. I personally would do either festae or a vieja community.

Been months since ive posted on this forum.

I dont get why you want convicts?? I had them in my 150 for a lil while cuz i was like you. I liked em etc. then i bought a male (for $2 mind you) and it started trying to kill my more expensive fish. (Festae at $20+ each) so i took him out and all the other convicts (3 others) and have never had them since. When your going to spend that kind of money on that big of a tank and filter, i would get something that you cant find in every lfs across the world. Heres a list of amazing fish also, convicts are central american
Keep in mind im bit saying put all these together

VIEJA
Synspilium
Argenta
Bifaciatus
Black belt

AMPHILOPHUS (more aggressive family)

Red devils
Triamacs
Midas

Then theres
Jaguars
Motaguensis
Salvinis
Greeb terrors
Jack dempsey (verry common)
Grammodes
Oscar (very common)

Get some nice plecos
Royal
Gold nugget
Green phantom
Adonis
Red bushynose
Etc

My point is, there are hundreds, thousands of amazing fish to put in that tank. I personally would do either festae or a vieja community.

Everyone likes what they like ya know? He could say he does t get why you like festae! I agree I'd do a smaller tanks just convicts as they don't need much room and make the big dog a showpiece! Nice to see you back oscar

Everyone likes what they like ya know? He could say he does t get why you like festae! I agree I'd do a smaller tanks just convicts as they don't need much room and make the big dog a showpiece! Nice to see you back oscar

Nice to see you to haha, i get what hes saying. Im just saying i was the same exacty way untill i found rarer, nicer fish. I like smaller cichlids also, if i had another tank i would do some meeki and cousins. And a bunch of little centrals haha.

Lol I know the deal with the convicts. Even the lfs guy is trying to stop me.

I think it is a sign. I just think they are cool looking.

Gonna research the other types of fish. Got to give the firemouths some company.

My convicts fit in well in our 150g in a mix of ca & sa unless breeding so we did put female in another tank and all good now, and i always add some bog wood to help bring my ph down a bit but a good boil in water first to stop tanning

A little update. Got all my old fish in. Most of them I will return soon to replace with cichlids. Don't think Platy's will last too long with them. For my ammo down to 0.25 and my nitrates to 5. PH is 7.6 which kinda concerns me with my SA plan. But if I maintain it, all should be good.

Aqua scape on the left is just temp. I plan on building a rock/drift wood concept.

Still can't get one of the tubes on the pump to suction. Gonna prime again.

Still looking at stocking ideas.

Attachments

• 1392567415944.jpg
    1392567415944.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 113
Of you like convicts, look more into the cryptoheros genus, so many cool convict-cousins that lack the attitude and are much more appealing IMO. Nanoluteus, sajica, spilurum, panamense (one of my favorites). Then there's thorichthys that has some awesome species, as well as archocentrus, amatitlania (the Honduran red point is in this genus, along with the convict, HRPs are way more docile and a better alternative IMO). In a 180, you could do one of the gentle giants, like herichthys bocourti or ex-cichlasoma pearsei, an then a pair or two of the smaller Central Americans like I listed above. Just my 2 cents, take em or leave em :)

Back
Top Bottom