1st African Cichlid Setup, HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to setup a African cichlid tank soon. I just got a standard 120 gallon tank that I'm going to use. I want to try a peacock/hap tank. I'm looking for suggestions on stocking.

I plan on using Caribsea cichlid sand and rocks for decor with a blue background.

I want suggestions on stock and tips n tricks that u may have for a cichlid tank.

I'm going to setup a African cichlid tank soon. I just got a standard 120 gallon tank that I'm going to use. I want to try a peacock/hap tank. I'm looking for suggestions on stocking.

I plan on using Caribsea cichlid sand and rocks for decor with a blue background.

I want suggestions on stock and tips n tricks that u may have for a cichlid tank.
Anyone?????

All sounds good. My advice would be to stock heavy, even slightly overstocked. It'll curb aggression.

I have a 80gal peacock tank with same sand that would be (I’d class as moderately over stocked, but excessively over filtered) with peacocks, red zebras, yellow labs and a couple of others.

Definitely would advise lotssss of hiding holes. I’m using Texas holey rock but it’s covered in algae (which the fish eat so can’t be too bad) but would like to move to black slate in the future.

I don’t get much aggression (The occasionally ‘get lost’ I’m guessing) but they’re all healthy and seem happy enough.

Really colourful and lively tank - I have a 200 gal Rainbow fish tank which is lovely but the colours just aren’t in the same league as the peacocks.

Also, I got all of mine as juvies from several places at approx the same age with the ‘grow them up together they might play nice long term’ idea - seems to be working

IMG_0001.jpgView attachment 1View attachment 1

Nice looking African tank. I like the look of algae covered Texas Holey rock. Bone white rocks look a little sterile to me. I have a 120 long African setup, hardscaped with THR.

Back
Top Bottom