2 German Blue Rams in a 10g, go for it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I intially wanted a pair of GBRs in my 20g long when I was first setting it up. However, they died. And I soon gave up on them. Recently, the LFS I work at just got a bunch in. They've been there for possibly half a week to a week. I can't remeber exactly when we got 'em in. The lot of 'em is in the discus tank, which has RO water and a pH of ~6.5. There is one lone one in the community system which has a pH of about 7 and is on central filtration w/ the 20 or so other community tanks. So, I know that guy is fairly healthy. So I may have a good chance of keeping them alive. My tap water has a pH of 7.5-7.6. My empty 10g is just begging for something to be put in it.

If I'm correct males have a more vibrant color to them and females have a slightly rounder pinkish belly. That's what I would be going for. And I'd get to bag 'em myself. 8)

My question is, would this be too small for just a pair? Filter would be a bio-wheel 125. That would be the only thing going in there, too. I'd go bb to begin w/ to keep the water as clean and pristine as possible.

So, AA, I await your advice.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I saw one of them stuck to the filter intake today in the discus tank. But, that doesn't mean they're all bad, right?

I think that it would be fine with good water quality. I don't have to much expereince with GBR's but I am getting interested in them myself. From what I have read the ten should be fine for them.

i am currently using a ten to grow out a pair of GBR, they have been doing well in this tank for about a month now...

Just really have good water quality and I have seen Zagz talk about the importance of acclimating them properly

Thanks for the replies.

Right now they're about 2 in., counting the tail. Regarding acclimating, I plan to empty the fish and water into a 5g bucket and drip acclimate them w/ an airline tubing for 30-45 minutes. Is that enough or should it be at least an hour?

For decorations, I will put a terra cotta pot in there and a piece of driftwood. But I will be going bare bottom, at least starting out to maintain good water quality. That reminds me I broke my light, so I guess I'll have to make a trip to lowes and get a small strip light.

Any other advice you guys have on these beautiful cichlids :) ?

Right now they're about 2 in., counting the tail. Regarding acclimating, I plan to empty the fish and water into a 5g bucket and drip acclimate them w/ an airline tubing for 30-45 minutes. Is that enough or should it be at least an hour?

I like the method, but i would say from what iv read go for the hour, im hoping to get some 2moz, so i guess we are both in the same situation, good luck, hope they all make it :)

Ok. I just tested my tap water parameteres. I haven't done that in a WHILE. My test kit is 2 1/2 years old, too. I don't know if that will affect anything. :roll:

pH: 7.6 on the low pH chart - inbetween 7.4 and 7.8 on the high pH chart (7.4 is yellow & 7.8 is brown, the color of the test tube was "light brown")
KH: 71.6 ppm
GH: 161.1 ppm

My pH seems a little high, but from what I've learned from here as long as the pH is stable that's all that matters and most fish are adaptable to different water conditions.

I just tested the pH in my tank too - it was the same as the tap water aswell. Now I know the pH won't fluctuate after being arated overnight.

A pair in a 10G will do just fine. Also, the females can be just as colorful. In fact, some of my females are even more vibrant than the males. Just depends on how they were bred.

As far as the test kit goes. I have one Aquarium Pharm. test for almost 5 years and I have compared it to my new kit and they are both the same. I THINK 2 1/2 years is fine.

Back
Top Bottom