2 month update on my Petsmart Red Texas/Kamfa Flowerhorn; possible to sex yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Purchased this little gal/guy on 6/6 @ 1". Really picky with food, and only ate frozen blood worms/freeze dried krill for the first month. Grew 2" quite fast. I then had to fast for 11 days to get it on pellets, and has been on them for the last 2-3 weeks. Only grew up to 2.5", which I'm guessing is from the fasting/low protein in NLS cichlid. I've just started re-introducing bloodworms/krill for some high protein in his/her diet, so hopefully growth will pick up.

Constantly on the move this boy/girl is. Extremely active, never seen stressed even with 2x weekly water changes, tank relocations, and constant decor re-arrangements.

One interesting note though. At one point a week or so ago I had a problematic 2" female convict in one of my other tanks. Bullying a 4" JD and not taking my 4" FM's flare ups. I put her in with the flowerhorn in hopes of keeping her in there for a few days to re-introduce her into my other tank, but quickly found out that wouldn't be possible. The flowerhorn (2" as well at this time) locked in on the convict like a missile and immediately took a bite at her side. I netted the flowerhorn with a large net and isolated it at the top as a temporary "prison", and the flowerhorn was constantly attacking the net. She/he actually jumped out and cornered the convict. I put the con back in with the JD/FM and it seems like it scared her straight. She no longer bullys the JD or flares up at the FM; now she'll just flare at the JD and swim off, and avoid the FM altogether. Flowerhorns are no joke!

On to the flowerhorn itself; any idea what sex yet? I'm thinking female now as I've seen other flowerhorns this size start develping humps.

sxv6D1q.jpg

Pictures say a thousand words, but videos are a million:

angryflowerhorn - Gfycat

Back
Top Bottom