2 oscars in a 50 gallon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of buying a 50 gallon tank and all of a sudden i want oscars i have done some research and i was thinking if it would be possible to keep a pair of oscars in a 50 gallon by themselfs , if not then i would just get a single oscar :) , if so can any other fish be compatible with a single oscar?

I've heard that a bichir can be with one ... I dont know please tell me anything you know and any oscar tips is welcome :) !

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

If you're serious about giving an Oscar a good run than you'll get one a 60 gallon or two a 90. They need pristine water with excellent filtration to thrive. You could do a jack Dempsey in a 55.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you're serious about giving an Oscar a good run than you'll get one a 60 gallon or two a 90. They need pristine water with excellent filtration to thrive. You could do a jack Dempsey in a 55.

Yup !!! What Brookster says is spot on.

I've seen some huge oscars and would personally prefer a 75 gallon for an adult. The extra 6 inches front to back makes a big difference for a fish that has the potential to grow larger than a 55-60 gallon is wide.

I've seen some huge oscars and would personally prefer a 75 gallon for an adult. The extra 6 inches front to back makes a big difference for a fish that has the potential to grow larger than a 55-60 gallon is wide.

by 60 I meant a tank with a 14x48 footprint, I believe it's a Marineland tank, it could be a 65... anyways when I have space I plan on throwing one in a 75 so I'm now changing my recommendation to one in a 75;)

The 14" (actually 14.25" according to Petsmart's website) is including the trim on the stand. MARINELAND® 60 Gallon Heartland Aquarium Ensemble | Aquariums | PetSmart

Tank itself is the same footprint as the 55: 48"x13" (and not actually a full 13" iirc), it's just slightly taller than the 55. Dimensions are listed on the Marineland site (only manufacturer I know of that makes this particular 60 gallon) but I didn't link it here because it's a PDF that you have to download.

So there is basically no chance for a single oscar to thrive in a 50 gal ?:( tanks are really expensive where i live

What if the tank would be a "corner" tank ? Then he would be able to turn around allright ?

Definitely not in a corner tank, and definitely not in any tank less than 4 feet long. People sometimes keep them in a standard 55, and although that would not be my preference, it would be a MUCH better choice than a corner tank or a 3 foot 50 gallon (the 50 Breeder- I have one of these).

*edit* you can get away with a smaller tank while the fish is still a juvenile, but with proper care oscars grow very quickly. Since tanks are expensive where you live, seems to me it would be most cost effective to start with a tank that can accommodate the fish throughout its lifespan, rather than having to upgrade later and spend even more money.

Last edited:
I must retract my agreement with what Brookster said originally ( sorry Brookster ) but after watching this go back and forth for a few minutes my curiosity has made me refresh my brain. Live Aquaria recommends for the 4 oscars they sell, a min of 70 gal for all of them. Sorry for any unintentional confusion before and thank you mama for jumping in with your insight.

What other oscar like fish (big,carnivorus,aggressive) do you reccomend for a 50 gal?

101 cm in length 50 cm in height and 41 in width

I had to Google it, as I am a product of the American education system... ;)

So, for all you other Americans, that's roughly 40"x16"x19.5".

Jack Dempsey stays smaller than an Oscar, but has lots of personality too. Or, you could do something like a pair of firemouth cichlids with some tough dithers (lemon tetras, tiger barbs, etc. would work nicely for this).

If you could i posted another thread in cichlid discusion, with some questions about jack dempseys :) ! Its called "a pair of jack dempseys in a 50 gal"

Back
Top Bottom