2" SRT Hongi Holding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dutch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it possible that a 2" SRT Hongi is mature enough to breed?

I've attached a "best" pic I can manage to get of her. She constantly hiding out camera sight.

Ive never had a mouthbrooder hold. Can someone verify that she (and I'm assuming it's a she) is indeed holding? I've only had "it" for about 2 months.

Attachments

• image-4058499398.jpg
    image-4058499398.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 212
  • image-3285195347.jpg
    image-3285195347.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 198
mine are about 2-3" and are able to breed, she held eggs for a few days then started eating again so she may be too young to hold full term if she is (depends on the fish, just stating my experience with young hongi's first brood)

my female is a dark brownish colour with a hint of that orange through the fins.
see avatar for the male in full coloured dress, but when calm he gets a bit darker in the body too.

you can tell if its holding, the bottom of its mouth/throat reminds me of a pelican with fish in its bill. bulging at the bottom

Oblivion said:
mine are about 2-3" and are able to breed, she held eggs for a few days then started eating again so she may be too young to hold full term if she is (depends on the fish, just stating my experience with young hongi's first brood)

my female is a dark brownish colour with a hint of that orange through the fins.
see avatar for the male in full coloured dress, but when calm he gets a bit darker in the body too.

you can tell if its holding, the bottom of its mouth/throat reminds me of a pelican with fish in its bill. bulging at the bottom

Thanks for your replay. She's definitely holding then. Fingers crossed for full term, but I'm more relieved I can confirm it's female and not a sub-dominant male.

The fish that looks like she's holding....does It have egg spots anywhere?

My experience with them: I have a breeding trio and males have egg spots on the anal fin along with a black bar on the bottom and they may have one egg spot on the dorsal fin. One female doesn't have any spots and the other one has a faint one on her anal fin.... that may help!

But like he said both make and female do have them so....it's hard to tell them apart

good luck to you, hope you can get pics of the fry, id love to see them!

I came home from work today to find 8 free swimming fry in the tank with the holding female and after about another hour she had spit the remaining 3 fry. i have since moved the fry into the other part of the tank separating the fry from the mother. I'll post pics as soon as I can find my digital camera. Most likely not tonight.

Back
Top Bottom