20 g Cichlid tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordanguerrero

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I was looking for advice on setting up a 20 g cichlid tank. I want to use a sand substrate and find big stones to put in it for hiding spots, but I am on a budget. Any ideas on where to get rocks and sand cheap?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't live near a beach :/ I do live near rivers and creeks. I have also thought about getting sand and rocks from the local Home Depot, but I wasn't sure if that was ok for the fish...

African Cichlids. I really like the peacock cichlids.

Ohh ok, no beach sand then lol
Yeah home depots usually have sand/rocks you can use. Do you know what they supply?

Yea, I used to work there. They have all purpose and playground sand. I've heard and read of people using the playground sand in their tanks. The rocks I don't know too much about, but I do know they have a lot of landscape rocks and pebbles.

Yeah play sand is perfectly fine. It does compact once wet, so it needs to be moved around a little when you do your maintenance to stop gasses building up. Again most rocks/pebbles are perfectly fine just avoid rocks that have a rust/gold patches or look.

Awesome sounds like I'll be able to save some money and keep the fish safe as well. Thank you very much!

Peacocks won't work in a 20 too small. Look into dwarfs or multis

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not even if I got them small and then gave them away or sold them at a certain size?

Not even if I got them small and then gave them away or sold them at a certain size?

These fish grow rather fast, they would outgrow that 20 gal in no time. I would either get dwarf species or get a larger tank.

I have 2 tanks. My 55 gallon ciclid tank and my 25 gallon live bearer tank. I couldn't imagine putting Ciclids into a 20 gallon tank. They will out grow it way too fast.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I am looking into the dwarf cichlid idea, but may go ahead and just do a community tank. I went ahead and got the play sand for my substrate and put it in today. How long do you think it will take for all the cloudiness to go away?

Did you rinse sand before putting in? Also don't run filters for a few hours give the sediment time to filter down and not get sucked up in filter. If you rinsed before u put it in should be clear 6 hours or so. If you didn't rinse could take 12 or more for everything to settle.

Yea I did rinse it before putting it in the tank. I did leave the filter running, but I will turn it off now for a few hours.

Will do! Thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom