20 gallon long Lake Tanganyika set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gallon long that I plan on putting multifasciatus in about 3 trios. I also have a 29 if that would be better for this set up. I would also like to add some mid-swimming cichlids. I was thinking of adding some Cyprichromis leptosoma "Utinta". NOT JUMBOS! How many should I have in a 20 gallon long? What decor should I have? I would like to breed both species will the Cyps eat the multies fry? What do I need for the Cyps fry to hide in? At what age can i tell males from females and what age do they sexually mature? I also have a pair of kribs that need a new tank would they work with the multies? Thanks for any advice:)

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cyps really need a big tank as the require large schools, in the wild, they number in the hundreds in their school, if not even thousands. Plus Multis will bully them to the point of death in a tank that small, not to mention even the most common of the cyprichromis leptosoma variants are $12 everywhere I've seen. I would recommend nothing less than a 75 gallon for any of the leptosoma variants or collection points for any tank less than 4'. The lfs I frequented before I move breed a few species of cyprichromis and paracyprichromis and from all the time I've spent observing them, anything less than 4' would be difficult, if not a run to failure

I'm gonna stand by what I said in your other thread, when they're given space to form a territory, and they are given the proper number of shells, they'll develop that bulldog attitude at anything that comes by their shells. I really should film my colony, especially at feeding time

Again, Kribs would make poor tank mates for shell dweller species. If you want a second species, look into julidochomis (marlieri, dickfieldii, ornatus, etc.) given you add rock work

One of the few fish able to deal with my Multis well, although some of them are homicidal lol mine was just insane, and would try to steal my fry haha

Ok I will deffinitly look into it(:) I plan on having rock to break the lines of sight hopefilly thay will help with aggression some.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have no rocks but my alpha is to busy trying to get with the females and other males hang top side n try to run in when he's not looking

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are such fun fish to watch:) I can't wait to get them into a larger tank. Personally I like the rock look so I think I'll add it for personal preference of course the fact that its beneficial to the fish just gives me one more reason to purchase it lol (;

Good to know ill have to keep an eye on it and make sure its pretty sturdy don't want anyone getting stuck underneath haha. I wish I could have a tank thsy big for these little guys maybe someday :thumbup:

Ok where can buy egg crate is it expensive?

I got it at Home Depot for under $15 and it was a huge sheet of it, it's called light diffuser and is typically Found in the lighting area of hardware stores. If used it for a few tanks

Ok thanks will the store cut it or did you have too? I'm unfamiliar with egg crate is it difficult to cut to size?

I have a 20 long and am having lotsa brown algae in it what can i use to eat the algae and hot have my multis destroy them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm idk if snails eat brown algae but my multies leave them alone in my tank

Back
Top Bottom