20 gallon Rams with guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaTony

Aquarium Advice Activist
I I just bought a pair of rams for my 20gal guppy tank. I'm just scared that the guppies might eat the eggs

I'd be more concerned about the rams eating their own eggs. The guppies probably wouldn't touch the eggs even if the rams let them, but they might nom on any free swimming fry that they run into.

jetajockey said:
I'd be more concerned about the rams eating their own eggs. The guppies probably wouldn't touch the eggs even if the rams let them, but they might nom on any free swimming fry that they run into.

I thought Rams protect there eggs. And I see

jetajockey said:
Rams are notorious fry eaters, I never had a successful parent raised spawn when I bred them, but you may get lucky.

Wow. I known lots of people who successful done it and said its quite easy. But they also told me that they usually eat the eggs but never said fry.

I don't think many people have successful ram spawns, at least they don't report it if they do.
I don't think I've ever seen any home bred rams for sale in the classifieds except by a few select breeders, that was one reason I started breeding them. Getting the fish to breed is easy, most healthy adults will do it on their own, but hatching and raising the fry to adulthood is a different story.

I bred EBRs and gold rams, hatched and raised fry artificially fairly easily once I figured out all the quirks. But then I had a few reports of random dieoffs of those I've shipped out, so at that point I focused on hardier fish species.

Rams tend to eat their eggs the first 2-3 times but after that they can be good parents. They get a bad press from some people but others have left the fish too it with good results. You can only try and see what happens

The survival rate is very low for hand raised like less then 40% I have never once had a successful parent raised batch they are just notorious for eating their own I have my 20 gallon breeding pair tanks which I select my parents out of my 66 gallon let them do their thing then when I see the eggs remove parents and point a small powerhead at the eggs so it keeps them moving slightly but never move the eggs you will lose the whole batch wait for wigglers then I move them to a 20 gallon grow out tank and the cycle goes on I breed GBR golden Bolivian and have great luck golden blue rams this breeding almost pays for the hobby I never have any trouble selling my rams and I get 10 a pop for them at my lfs cause our fish here are over priced they sell them for 15.99

ryan-peddle said:
The survival rate is very low for hand raised like less then 40% I have never once had a successful parent raised batch they are just notorious for eating their own I have my 20 gallon breeding pair tanks which I select my parents out of my 66 gallon let them do their thing then when I see the eggs remove parents and point a small powerhead at the eggs so it keeps them moving slightly but never move the eggs you will lose the whole batch wait for wigglers then I move them to a 20 gallon grow out tank and the cycle goes on I breed GBR golden Bolivian and have great luck golden blue rams this breeding almost pays for the hobby I never have any trouble selling my rams and I get 10 a pop for them at my lfs cause our fish here are over priced they sell them for 15.99

Wow. I guess imma be needing another tank for this job

Back
Top Bottom