Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

200 gallon

my dad just got a two hundred gallon, he told me he wanted to go with cichlids so i gave him mine from my over crowded 50 gallon. i had a tiger oscar, a mating pair of jack dempseys plus a sellable sized fry from their first batch, and my african melanochromis johannii. my dad had also bought a green terror, firemouth, and a small Pseudotropheus sp. "Blue Dolphin" (Ndonga). he just needs to add some rocks that i gave him and once the caves are provided every thing should be on its way. its a really amazing tank. the fish should be able to get to there full potetial in it. and im really happy to get the oscar out of the 50 gallon. now my fiance want a 300 gallon for an oscar and some other americans, im thinking firemout

Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What filtration is he running on it?

Oscars are very messy fish and his water parameters can crash with out adequate filtration and regular water changes.

Post some pics of his tank when you get a chance.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

its got two huge filters on it not sure what brand. or size.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

wait... africans and new world cichlids mixed?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i know, i always get crap for it. but honestly the only african i keep with my jacks and oscar was my melanochromis johanni, but my dad had already purchased the fish he got before i seen them, he got a small firemouth, small green terror that the petco guy told him was a jack dempsey( i let him know when i came over an seen it), and he got a the small demasoni and thought it was an electric blue johanni till i showed him mine and then showed him what his was online. but everyone is doing fine and getting brine shrimp, and feeder minows and crayfish on ocasion. i just gave him a big box of rocks to make caves and next time i go over there i will take a video for you all.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodon king View Post
wait... africans and new world cichlids mixed?

I agree, its not suggested or recommended. Especially when feeding requirements differ, ph and hardness differ, and often times the way they communicate is different. In some very rare instances it can work, but usually in a really large tank.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1anonly22 View Post
its got two huge filters on it not sure what brand. or size.
If they are a good size he should be good for now, if not he will just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get clogged and the flow gets reduced and have to clean them more often.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i know, ive been doing this for a while, its just my dad who needs help. like with picking his fish. the tank should be big enough for them to get along, like i said i had them in my 50 gallon for a long time before i put them in the 200.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealconcepts View Post
I agree, its not suggested or recommended. Especially when feeding requirements differ, ph and hardness differ, and often times the way they communicate is different. In some very rare instances it can work, but usually in a really large tank.
not to mention different temp requirements, and food requirements. malawi bloat is pretty common in these scenarios.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i had an aruatus that got bloat and died, but my johanni is a survivor and has made it into adult hood just fine. i dont know how my dads little african will do. like i said i always get crap for it. but i know its best for them to have their own tanks with proper settings, and i wont mix them again even though it worked out for me, besides the one loss. i also realize that since the tanks arent setup for africans that my johannis life spand isnt going to be as long as most, but he was a gift that i really could turn down because of certian cercumstances i can not get into on this site or with a stranger so please dont hate me for keeping him in an american cichlid tank. about the temp requirements, johannis preffer 78-82 the same as all the americans i have iin the tank, and acually the demasoni is the same too.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com