20g Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhuth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I am looking to convert my freshwater tetra tank to a cichlid tank, as one of my friends has taken on my tetras. I was wondering how many of and which species would work best in this setting, without the plan of upgrading tank size. I prefer the brightest colored species (electric blues) and was wondering if this would be plausible in a tank this size.

Thanks!
Rob

Only african species for a tank that size are shell dwellers. There are several dwarf sa species to look at. But nothing more than a single pair for that size.

Can add a small school of middle fish with most dwarfs if you research which are compatible with your chosen dwarf.

I have 2 firemouths In a 20 gallon but they are juveniles right now. They are extremely colorful when they grow up but I plan on giving them a 30 gallon when fully grown but I think you could get by with them in a 20 gallon

I had a breeding pair of fire mouths in a 20 long for about a week as temporary holding and tank (there main tank was a 75. I can say a 20 won't work. An adult pair needs at least a 45 gallon.

For a 20 gallon you are looking at dwarf cichlids and that is about it for cichlids. Except maybe shell dwellers but I have no experience with them shell dwellers.

There are allot of great dwarf cichlids out there that are very colorful. Check out rams and apistos

If the tank foot print is at least 2' long could do a single breeding pair of convict cichlids and absolutely no other fish and you will need a plan on what to do with the fry, i feed mine to my koi as live food.

African cichlids and in the future don't mix african with South African or South American it's basically like watching cops cause they beat the living crap out each other. I've lost cichlids from doing that also some blue cichlids are, Kenyi cichlid, Ice Blue Zebra they get 7 inches. And a blue hap cichlid. Remember you can only put five cichlids in a thirty gallon. I recomend getting a ralphiel catfish and a albino Pleco for bottom feeders that's what my friend has

Back
Top Bottom