20g tank fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sylkdog1986

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wassup everyone so I'm new to this site and was reading that cichlids can't b with to many other species. Well my question is I have a blue chiclid a yellow cichlid a black Molly Dalmatian Molly and three beunos aires tetras do u guys think they will all b ok 2gether in a 20 g tank I'm lookin to buy a 40g tank within the next week jus don't want my fish fightin till then thanx

That's a log time in a small space especially for the cichlids. I wouldn't try it. I've had mollies in with my cichlids for a few hours and they were beaten so IMO I don't recommend it. But do as u please.

Also depends on size of the cichlid. If they're still 1 1/2 -2 inches then maybe for now. Any bigger is a no no.

Plus those two kinds shouldn't be together. Both prefer different water types..

Ok well there still pretty small jus bought them this morning but there all swimming nicely together so they should b ok. I jus bought a 60 g tank with a stand for 200 so I'll b switchin them out into the bigger one by Monday

But wat do u mean by they like two different water types??

Put the cichlids in the new tank and the mollies in the other one. Mollies and cichlids will never ever be good mates once they get to sexual maturity. They'll eat your mollies. An by different water she means different temperature, ph, hardness, etc.

And also your tank won't be ready by Monday. Google "cycling the aquarium". You have to do your research.

Yea I've read it but don't kno how true it is I only cycled my 20g tank for about a day and a half and threw my fish in there and there still ok but I'm gonna throw my tetras in there before I put nething else in there jus to b sure I don't harm my more expensive fish

Cycling is the process of making the tank safe. If you ever properly cycle a tank you will see a rise in nitrogen, which will kill your fish. Luckily that hasn't happened to you.... Yet. It is a very true thing.

You'll have to get test strips so that you can tell when it is cycled. Thank you for taking my advice, I just hate seeing fish thrown into a tank and dying from nitrogen poisoning. If your wanting to go with cichlids get some sand for the bottom of the tank and lots of rocks. If you goto the thread "post your cichlid set up here" it has great idea's on ways to decorate a cichlid tank :)

Thanx man I appreciate it I jus started cleanin the tank out a few minutes ago can't wait to get started

I know that feeling! It's always exciting setting up a new tank! Just another hint; rocks from landscaping stores or from outside are a lot cheaper (if not free!!) then the ones for aquariums and you can find some really nice ones to use.

I kno I'm talkin to my girl bout it now she wants to buy them from the store I tol her tomoro I'll go look for some rocks and things

Strips are useless to me the kit is so much better. Plus look into fish in cycle once your temperature is good you can move them faster. You have pretty hardy fish, so they should be ok. I suggest you get your filter from the 20 to help out the 60. It's not a lot but it's a start. Research fish in cycle and decide. I know it's hard to sit and watch an empty tank for a month or longer. Plus you need to move your fish by then, however I think for them all to be in a new tank they MAY be ok for a couple of days, watch them closely!

Yea I'm reading about the fish in cycle now like u said I don't wanna sit there and look at an empty tank forever but I bought a whole new heater and filtration system how do u think these will do?? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393045708.200755.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393045743.931387.jpg

Glad you're going to cycle the new tank because regarding your 1 day cycle tank, there's a difference between your fish surviving in the 20g and living in your 20g. Best to invest in an API Master Test Kit and test your water and do water changes to keep the water clean and it's also a lot more accurate than test strips.

Good filter to start off, but decide what you're going to have in your bigger tank and how many as well, so you can invest in a stronger filter beforehand.

Thanx well I figured if nething I can always throw the topfin 20 filter on from my 20g to my 60g for a lil more filtration if necessary or am I wrong ??

It'll really depend on how many fish you plan on having in the larger tank, plus you'll want to separate the cichlids from the rest, so you'll need that filter to stay with your 20g lol :p

Back
Top Bottom