22 Gallon high African cichlids tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyjoelyjoepro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, I was looking at my pet smart website and was wondering if I could make my 22 high into a lake Malawi tank. I know it said on the website that you need 29 gallon minimum. But, could I do something like 2 bumblebees, 2 auratis, 2 Kennyi and 2 electric yellows or is this too many fish?

Thanks

Even a 29 is too small for almost all Malawi cichlids. The only African cichlids I would put in that size are small tanganyikans like shelldwellers.

Agree with sini, and with the ones you selected they would tear each other apart in a few months. Bumblee hits 8" and is extremely aggressive, kenyi are very aggressive, auratus are very aggressive.... it would take a 55 to even consider those three options.

Agree with sini, and with the ones you selected they would tear each other apart in a few months. Bumblee hits 8" and is extremely aggressive, kenyi are very aggressive, auratus are very aggressive.... it would take a 55 to even consider those three options.

Agreed, I'd even go so far as to say a 75 minimum, and the ratios would need to be bumped up to 1:3 (m:f) at minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tanganyikan shelldwellers. I have a colony of neolamprologus multifasciatus aka multies or banded shelldwellers in a 20 gallon high. You could do just about any of the shelldwellers in a 20 I think. I would do some research, find a kind you like, and find out what it needs.

Personally, I would go with tangs. The shelldwellers are probably your best bet. But If I were you, i'd do more research if I were you

Sent via echolocation

Ive looked into this for other smaller tanks and no African would really work or be happy in that small of a tank. Even saulosi would still need at least a 36" long tank, as said above. Its unfortunate, but these fish not only get to 5"+ for most species, but they are also very territorial and will make a mess of eachother if they decide someone is where they shouldnt be. That size tank is just too small to set up territories or even get away in a chase. For example when i started with my african mbunas i was working on resealing a 75 gallon that i had gotten, and started with them in a 29 gallon high tank (30"x12"x18" tall). I had 5 young electric yellow labs and 4 acei, which are some of the most peaceful of the mbuna. They were all less than 2" so very young. In the 29 gallon i noticed alot more chasing and general bullying vs when i finally got them into the big tank they have been peaceful since. And these are alot more peaceful generally than the species you listed above, and they hadnt yet reached maturity since alot of times that is when issues start. Beautiful fish, but most need a 4 foot tank and even the smaller dwarf varieties need at least 3 foot and that would be pushing it from what i have read from others experiences. I dont mean to rain on your parade, but i thought id share my experience since i have seen alot of tanks way to small with these fish since some stores just want to sell fish and will say its ok.

If you can ever get a larger tank id definately recomend them. But until then maybe look into shell dwellers like the "multies". They arent very colourful persay, but are supposed to be really interesting to watch and form little communities amoung themselves as they breed where the offspring will live in that little group and they form a sort of family. Thats not seen very often in the fish world lol I was going to set one up in my small tank, but ended up with a planted community tank instead. Also if your water is ok for them, the dwarf rams like the bolivian are beautiful fish that can be in community tanks usually. Id love a pair but my water is pushing things for them

Same as others... I have "peaceful" mbuna in a 60g and you can see why people recommend a 4' tank... They chase other a good 3 feet before letting up, so in a 3' tank or smaller they would never let up. Whatever you would stock you would just end up with one fish :)

What is it that interests you on Africans? If you are getting a 20 tall based on space, is personally go for a 30g or 40g as there's a few more options at that size. If price is the issue, petco does a special every so often for 55g for $55. Petsmart just had a deal for a 60g with stand and lights for $150.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom