240 litres (65 gallons) oscar tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all i might be getting a 65 gal jewel rio tank and i want an oscar but i would also like something else with him ? Any suggestions? The dimensions on the tank are : length 47 inches (121 cm) width 16 inches (41 cm) and height 21 inches (55 cm) .

I REALLY like the green terror , the stocking i would want is :

Oscar

Male green terror

Male convict (only becausr that is my only fish in another tank)

Bristlenose plec

Is this something that i could do ?

Thanks in advance :)

Anything that goes in my oscar tank dies in about a day.. Or so I'd think.. One of the top ten aggressive cichlids. I even had to put my Pleco in my African tank before the oscar got too nasty.. Another thing to consider is tank size.. Recommended 75 gallon min for these bad boys.. Best regards

It will be fine as long as they're juveniles, once the fish mature it will not work. These are all big aggressive fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

An Oscar will take up a 65 by itself. With the exception of the pleco. a GT will not work with an Oscar unless you step it up to a 90. The convict will work with the Oscar in a 75. You could actually have a few fish the size of the convict in a 75.

we are talking full grown of course as juvies they would all fit in the 65 the only problem is Oscar are very fast growers and GT are very slow growers so soon the Oscar may turn on the Green Terror.

Anything that goes in my oscar tank dies in about a day.. Or so I'd think.. One of the top ten aggressive cichlids. I even had to put my Pleco in my African tank before the oscar got too nasty.. Another thing to consider is tank size.. Recommended 75 gallon min for these bad boys.. Best regards

Astronotus ocellatus doesn't even crack the top 25 most aggressive cichlids list in all honesty. The are territorial at most usually, and have big appetites. This often gets mistaken for aggression. Oscars couldn't come close to fish such as ex-Cichlasoma festa, nandopsis hatiensis, n. beani, n. grammodes, parachromis dovii, p. managuense, p. motaguense, caquetaia umbiferus, etc. (like all parachromis, caquetaia, nandopsis, and most amphilophus).

On that note, a 65 is even on the small side for a single oscar due to their size and bioload. I would keep the single oscar with no tankmates, or look into other species that are smaller and more compatible with tankmates in a 65 gallon.

So what about a single green terror ? What could be with him that is mainly on the "big" side, give me suggestions, but do suggest smaller as well because i like to see all my options

Astronotus ocellatus doesn't even crack the top 25 most aggressive cichlids list in all honesty. The are territorial at most usually, and have big appetites. This often gets mistaken for aggression. Oscars couldn't come close to fish such as ex-Cichlasoma festa, nandopsis hatiensis, n. beani, n. grammodes, parachromis dovii, p. managuense, p. motaguense, caquetaia umbiferus, etc. (like all parachromis, caquetaia, nandopsis, and most amphilophus).

On that note, a 65 is even on the small side for a single oscar due to their size and bioload. I would keep the single oscar with no tankmates, or look into other species that are smaller and more compatible with tankmates in a 65 gallon.
Hey Freakgeko Looks like the ops tank isn't a standard 65 Foot print is 47 x 16. I know this don't help with water quality but the foot print is darn close to a standard 75. If you saw that sorry to bring it up. Just trying to help out.

Thats what i thought !, so there is a possability for some fish woth the oscar?

Basically if you just do an Oscar you will probably be needing 2 50 to 75 % water changes a week. Add more fish and you could be doing them every 48 hours to keep the water good. Oscars are their own enemy with how dirty they are. Poor water quality can happen over night and they get hith easily if nitrates go over 20. There was a member on here thst was doing 3 water changes a week with 1 Oscar in a 75.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really sucks imo its a big aquarium :(

But what about

Male green terror

Male convict

Male severum

Bristlenose plec

?

Drop the terror or the Severum. One or the other IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Really sucks imo its a big aquarium :(

But what about

Male green terror

Male convict

Male severum

Bristlenose plec

?

It is a big aquarium but you also selected fish that get really big. I think you will be fine with this setup as long as you don't add anything else. You may run into aggression issues with the GT as they get older then again you may not. both GT and Severums are slow growers.

Do you already have the Con? You may want to go with a female con they stay a little smaller and have better colors IMO.

Another option is do the GT or Severum as a centerpiece and add smaller cichlids like, Firemouths, Cons, Honduran Red Points, Rainbow Cichlids, there are many options of fish that stay under 6" that will work.

And another option is Large fish (GT or Sevrum) with a large school of dither fish. I did a tank with a pair of Texas and a larger school of Lemon Tetras and it looked awesome. I only lost one tetra as they are quicker than the Texas.

Back
Top Bottom