26 gallon bowfront stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am cycling my new aquarium and once it's done I would like to know what chiclids I could put in it and how many? (Filter is a fluval c3 5 stage filter. (153 GPH) thanks guys!

In a 26g the only fair suggestion would be shell dwellers or a VERY small group of dwarf mbuna at 1male and 3-4females.

I'm very new sorry. What are shell dwellers?

African cichlids of lake tanganyika they make homes in rocks and shells on the lake bed and impprtantly theyre a small cichlid species.

Would they be available at most pet stores?

Would they be available at most pet stores?

Doubtful how about a pair of dwarf South American cichlids like rams or apistogramma. Or kribensis could work from Africa. You could then do a community tank around them.

I would also recommend tanganyikan shell dwellers try searching for :- neolamprologus similis, neolamprologus multifasciatus,neolamprologus brevis, lamprologus ocellatus, lamprologus signatus. Also watch youtube videos of said fish to see them in action and see if there's any you like, all of the above have bags of personality for such small fish in my opinion.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the advice but I already set it up as a community tank :)

Some 2platys 2swordtails and a Mollie for now. Hoping to get a school of tetras and a ram

Awesome I've got two schools of tetra in my community tank nine cardinal and nine rummynose. Watch those platies breed like rabbits btw.

The tank is stocked or overstocked with those livebearers due to their adult size and bio-load. However if it were just the platties the tetras and ram would work perfectly.

Awesome I've got two schools of tetra in my community tank nine cardinal and nine rummynose. Watch those platies breed like rabbits btw.

Haha I know

I wouldn't add anything else at this time. If everyone reaches adult size and you are able to keep your population under control and your water quality where it needs to be, at that point you could consider adding something else.

A single molly can be quite nippy so adding a ram doesn't sound ideal. A molly can easily reach 4" adult size and is very thick bodied...a livebearer this size has a massive bio-load. Swords and platties, while not as severe as mollies, will still have a pretty significant bio-load.

Adding a GBR or GGR would definitely not be advisable since they need really pristine water quality and also thrive in different water chemistry than your average livebearer. If not for the molly though I would say a bolivian would be an option.

Or buy another tank a school of tetra and a pair of bolivan rams would be sweet amazon style.

Unfortunately another tank is not an option right now

Back
Top Bottom