29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtwin64

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently I have a 29 gallon tank with 6 Africans in it. The africans seem to get along most of the time, their is one in particular who doesnt seem to "fit in" with the rest. I have 3 Yellow labs, 2 Kenyi, 1 Auratus (I know this species can be a huge jerk), and 1 pleco... The Auratus is a female I believe and is calm all the time. They are almost 2 inches in size. How long untill they are full grown? I feed maybe 1 - 2 a day. Mainly flakes, Pellets, or Brine shrimp. The temp is around 80 degrees and the ph is high. Is my stock for the tank not agreeable with the tank mates? I've heard both ways. So far, it's been working out. The tank was recently set up a month ago and the filter has been cycled. The fish have been in their about 3 weeks. Thanks,

The stock isn't necessarily bad, the tank size is too small though. A 4' is best. Auratus can take some time to color up, all of mine are around 2" and none have shown any changes. Kenyi can be just as nasty too. The labs are the most peaceful of your list.

As above a 29 is too small for your Africans.Only a small group of yellow labs would be ok in there.
I originally bought 4 auratus.What I thought were 1 male and 3 females.The dominant male killed 1 of the females within a week.Another of the females turned out to be a male and I had to rehome him before he too was killed.The 1 remaining female was harassed almost to the point of death to,and as I couldn't find anymore females locally to help with male to female ratio I had to rehome her also.I still have my 1 male and he is about 4 1/2" now so pretty much fully grown.He bothers no other fish in my tank and I have quite a selection of mbuna along with 4 Malawi eye biters and 1 electric blue hap.He is more a peacekeeper now but without doubt the boss of my tank.
Auratus can work but maybe I'm lucky with my male.He seems happy and is not a threat to the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom