Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
swifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 282
29 gallon stocking

Posting this here as my other thread got 0 responses:

I went out and bought a 29g because of petco's current sale. I currently have 1 3"-ish male firemouth, and 8 1.5-2" black skirt tetras. Since January 2013 in my old 20g long I've had to remove a convict/festivum/BNP because they weren't compatible tankmates (too aggressive/territorial or not enough).

In another thread I was told a 40 breeder would be the smallest tank to go to breed firemouths, however I am not looking to breed, just for a companion for my firemouth.

My questions:
-Can I keep a female FM with him in my new 29g?
-If a female isn't possible, will any other cichlids/schools/increase current school be possible?
__________________

__________________
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
The 29 is a bit small for all those fish. You can only keep a single fire mouth in a tank of that size and you would need to rehome the tetras.
__________________

__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 14
If you get a female, they'll most likely pair and breed. When that occurs they will get really aggressive and attack other tank mates in that small of a tank in my experience. Some say that a 29G is too small for a pair of Firemouths but I've done it and they were fine. This is all your call, but I wouldn't add the female.
__________________
kardash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
swifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
The 29 is a bit small for all those fish. You can only keep a single fire mouth in a tank of that size and you would need to rehome the tetras.
My fm is currently a juvenile at 3". Is it really that small? I thought FM only get 5-6" nowadays.

Quote:
If you get a female, they'll most likely pair and breed. When that occurs they will get really aggressive and attack other tank mates in that small of a tank in my experience. Some say that a 29G is too small for a pair of Firemouths but I've done it and they were fine. This is all your call, but I wouldn't add the female.
Ah I see, not interested in raising fry at the moment. I'll leave the tank as is then and avoid any other cichlids.

What about gouramis and keyhole cichlids?
__________________
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 14
Gouramis or Keyhole Cichlids.. Hmm. I'm not really sure of the behavior of your Firemouth, but if it's too aggressive, I wouldn't add any tankmates. If it's peaceful and not aggressive, then you maybe could slip in having a Dwarf Gourmi or Pearl. As far as the Keyhole, I can't say because I've never had them before.
__________________
kardash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardash View Post
Gouramis or Keyhole Cichlids.. Hmm. I'm not really sure of the behavior of your Firemouth, but if it's too aggressive, I wouldn't add any tankmates. If it's peaceful and not aggressive, then you maybe could slip in having a Dwarf Gourmi or Pearl. As far as the Keyhole, I can't say because I've never had them before.
Cleithracara maronii (keyhole) would be too peaceful, they'd get bullied pretty quickly. A gourami would probably get its trailers bit off.

I'd stick with what you currently have. Thorichthys Meeki can be a tricky species to work with when going for a community setup because their personality can vary so much.

A fire mouth in a 29 with tetras is fine. No need to make a super rash comment and tell the op to remove fish with a low bioload. A water change a week will be just fine
__________________

__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gallon, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.