Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

29 gallon stocking

Posting this here as my other thread got 0 responses:

I went out and bought a 29g because of petco's current sale. I currently have 1 3"-ish male firemouth, and 8 1.5-2" black skirt tetras. Since January 2013 in my old 20g long I've had to remove a convict/festivum/BNP because they weren't compatible tankmates (too aggressive/territorial or not enough).

In another thread I was told a 40 breeder would be the smallest tank to go to breed firemouths, however I am not looking to breed, just for a companion for my firemouth.

My questions:
-Can I keep a female FM with him in my new 29g?
-If a female isn't possible, will any other cichlids/schools/increase current school be possible?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The 29 is a bit small for all those fish. You can only keep a single fire mouth in a tank of that size and you would need to rehome the tetras.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

If you get a female, they'll most likely pair and breed. When that occurs they will get really aggressive and attack other tank mates in that small of a tank in my experience. Some say that a 29G is too small for a pair of Firemouths but I've done it and they were fine. This is all your call, but I wouldn't add the female.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
The 29 is a bit small for all those fish. You can only keep a single fire mouth in a tank of that size and you would need to rehome the tetras.
My fm is currently a juvenile at 3". Is it really that small? I thought FM only get 5-6" nowadays.

Quote:
If you get a female, they'll most likely pair and breed. When that occurs they will get really aggressive and attack other tank mates in that small of a tank in my experience. Some say that a 29G is too small for a pair of Firemouths but I've done it and they were fine. This is all your call, but I wouldn't add the female.
Ah I see, not interested in raising fry at the moment. I'll leave the tank as is then and avoid any other cichlids.

What about gouramis and keyhole cichlids?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #5

Gouramis or Keyhole Cichlids.. Hmm. I'm not really sure of the behavior of your Firemouth, but if it's too aggressive, I wouldn't add any tankmates. If it's peaceful and not aggressive, then you maybe could slip in having a Dwarf Gourmi or Pearl. As far as the Keyhole, I can't say because I've never had them before.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardash View Post
Gouramis or Keyhole Cichlids.. Hmm. I'm not really sure of the behavior of your Firemouth, but if it's too aggressive, I wouldn't add any tankmates. If it's peaceful and not aggressive, then you maybe could slip in having a Dwarf Gourmi or Pearl. As far as the Keyhole, I can't say because I've never had them before.
Cleithracara maronii (keyhole) would be too peaceful, they'd get bullied pretty quickly. A gourami would probably get its trailers bit off.

I'd stick with what you currently have. Thorichthys Meeki can be a tricky species to work with when going for a community setup because their personality can vary so much.

A fire mouth in a 29 with tetras is fine. No need to make a super rash comment and tell the op to remove fish with a low bioload. A water change a week will be just fine

Tags
gallon, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com