3 new angelfish just added!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B Phishin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's up everybody?! Just added 3 young, angelfish (nickle-sized) to my 40 gallon tank. I just started my tank almost 3 weeks ago, and now have 3 angelfish (2 marbled, 1 silver zebra), a small, nickel-sized, juvenile firemouth, 2 german blue rams, and 4 cardinal tetras! All the fish are getting along fine as of now. Supposively, introducing these fish as juveniles will help them tolerate eachother and grow together. No aggression so far, but the firemouth is kinda territorial towards one of his favorite caves. Im not too worried. Temp is 78 degrees F and pH level is around 7.6 - 7.8. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! I'm hyped!:brows:

I'm afraid you're going to have some major issues with aggression once your fish start to mature. 2 pairs of cichlids in a 40g tank (even a 4' 'long' tank would be 2 pairs max) is pushing it... and you've got the potential for 2 pairs and 2 individuals. I'd love to see it work, but I'd definitely suggest having a plan B in place (hey, I've got some empty tanks :) )

Thanks for the help buddy. But honestly, so far, so good. My firemouth was a bit of a concern, but I dont think it (he/she ??) realizes that it could potentially dominate, which is why I assembled this tank with very, young juveniles, so they can mature together and supposively tolerate each other as they grow older. The firemouth used to be protective about his "claimed cave," but after introducing the 3 angels, he seems intimidated and lets the angels and German Blue Rams (GBR's) pass right on through without any aggression. I know as they all grow older that size and aggression could be a problem, but as of right now all the fish get along and mind their own business. Even the 3 angels follow eachother around and usually stay in a triad. Pretty sweet and impressive if you ask me. Anymore advive would be more than welcomed. Thanks mdfrookie. Let me know what you think

From what I have read on these forums (and I have had a fire mouth, Jack Dempsey and Oscar many years ago), I agree with rookie in that you might be ok for now, as you say, but begin planning for a new tank in case you have to transfer any fish. It's a great excuse to establish a new tank.

Did the tank cycle in only three weeks after initial setup? That's great.
Mine took about four or five weeks with established media from my LfS.

Back
Top Bottom