30 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would I be able to put any SA cichlids in a 30 gallon tank?

I'd recommend jewel cichlids or maybe 1 firemouth. Others get too big

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Apart from the American dwarfs, (which u could do easily) u could add as single pets or bredding pair:
Firemouth
Black Convict
White/pink convict
Blue acara
Keyhole
Rainbow

Your may get away with a bristlenose catfish with one of those,(not breeding pair) as long as u have super filtration for 2 fish and your cichlid does not have super aggressive personality.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would go with a pair of German blue rams and a school of tetras. Do you have any other fish?

A lot of the suggestions above are good, but not SA.

SA suitable for 30G would be Rams, Keyholes and Apistos. If you want cichlids that are 'easy maintenence' and good with most community fish, it's always going to be Bolivian Rams and Keyholes but they are not as interesting as some of the centrals suggested above.

I'd love some apistos but nowhere around me carries them.

Apistos would be great!
Have you tried online?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd love some apistos but nowhere around me carries them.

They can be a little tough to keep compared to other cichlids. I beleive they like soft water, a little on the acid side and don't like changes in water chemistry, a bit like standard Rams. If you have a local place that keep good stock (i.e. when you buy fish from there, you don't ramdomly lose any or very very few) then you could maybe ask if they could get you some in.

I've kept a few different Apistos in the past, and by far the hardiest are the Cockatoo.

Another small one you could try is the Curviceps. I think its also known as the dwarf flag cichlid. They show nice colours as a pair, but will kill anything small that gets near them if they breed.

Laetacara are not that aggressive of spawners to kill anything...they may give chase, but not typically kill

Apisto's. They are great and that size tank would be fine for them. I've never had any serious aggression issues with my Laetacara Curvisceps or Dorsigera. They'll chase but thats about it. They're fairly peaceful but great dwarfs as well.

Apisto's. They are great and that size tank would be fine for them. I've never had any serious aggression issues with my Laetacara Curvisceps or Dorsigera. They'll chase but thats about it. They're fairly peaceful but great dwarfs as well.

Are you saying 'They'll chase but thats about it' as fact? Because i'm saying they could kill smaller fish as fact because i've seen it with my own eyes. Any breeding cichlids are capable of it. Sorry if that sounds hostile but i don't appreciate the experiences i've had being quibbled with, like i'm some sort of liar.

If you think it's unusual then fair enough, but its possible.

Are you saying 'They'll chase but thats about it' as fact? Because i'm saying they could kill smaller fish as fact because i've seen it with my own eyes. Any breeding cichlids are capable of it. Sorry if that sounds hostile but i don't appreciate the experiences i've had being quibbled with, like i'm some sort of liar.

If you think it's unusual then fair enough, but its possible.

You're experience is one account. So it is a fact that YOURS did this, but it is not a fact that laetacara species typically do this. No one is saying that yours didn't do this. We are saying that laetacara curviceps, dorsigera, and araguaiae are typically pretty peaceful fish, and usually only give rise to some chasing and occasional nipping. There are many factors that play into aggression in generally peaceful fish, including the individuals at hand. Calm down please, no need to react so harshly.

Easy there cowboy. I didn't say they wouldn't, I was simply saying that behavior is not typical for those fish. They could easily kill smaller fish but typically if they enter their territory, they'll just chase them away and not chase them down and kill them. It's not typical. Just like people, you'll have all kinds, some mean and aggresive and other shy and timid.

Back
Top Bottom