30 gallon Chichlid tank, any advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loureed

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gallon set up, 1 inch and a half orange and black parrot, 1 inch red jewel cichlid, 1 and a half inch jack Dempsey, and 1 inch plecy. have larger tank set ups that they can "graduate" to but would like to keep them in this tank awhile. Can I add anything else to round out the tank? Maybe 1 or two more fish? Or maybe a few other critters? Thanks for all your thoughts!

I'd probably keep it as is until they start growing out...
Do you have a pic of the parrot I've never seen that color combination!!

Sharkbait54 said:
I'd probably keep it as is until they start growing out...
Do you have a pic of the parrot I've never seen that color combination!!

You can barely see him the above the driftwood. He's a shy guy mostly. He's orange but with a black top fin and black on his cheeks a bit. I have had them about a month now, they all get along, I was just hoping to add something to give the tank more movement, they are shy and don't come out much :( they eat like hogs and are friendly though.

Attachments

• image-4108822508.jpg
    image-4108822508.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 99
The other fishes too :)

Attachments

• image-799132635.jpg
    image-799132635.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1672561822.jpg
    image-1672561822.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 92
  • image-438102872.jpg
    image-438102872.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 94
I also have a red and black parrot in my 30gal. Ide say you are probably overstocked and that is why your parrot is probably hiding. Best option is to move the jack dempsey now so he can grow up healthy and not in an over crowded tank. A jewel a parrot and a plec is enough for a 30 with nothing else in it.

I know the inch per gallon is laughable, but i only have 5 inches of fish, I had no idea that would be over crowded. I have decided to move the plecy already, as he will just get huge. The jack dempsey will be rehomed in about a month or so as he gets a bit bigger. I have a 175 gallon and 2 100 gallon tanks running to house them later down the road when they are about 3 inches or so, I was wondering what I can put in to replace the plecy and JD. I was wondering about borrowing fish? The jewel cichlid has been coming out quite a bit and doesn't seem bothered by my walking by any more. I have lots of barrels plants and rock structures in the tank and they each have their own hiding spots. Thanks for all the advice guys!! I really hate to take the advice of the sales girl who is half my age and keeps saying umm sure. ;)

Also if it helps, I'm running a 25 gal hanging filter, a 30gal hanging Aqueon filter( I only have carbon in one) fluval 30 gal heater, I have 3 larger bubblers and 2 medium bubblers. Replacing my submersible water pump, it hated me ;)

Attachments

• image-1344238697.jpg
    image-1344238697.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 74
I have took the jewel back and got a little convict guy instead. He and the JD swim around together all day. Bought a 55 and started cycling so I can move them to there :) my JD is already 3 an a half inches long and starting to really fill out! I removed the pleco and added a pair of clown loaches who really fit in well do far. So I guess my only question is will they work in the 55 long? Will that be a balanced tank? Thanks for all the advice it's really got me researching and getting into this! :)

Yeah they should be fine although. Clowns can get pretty big but are probably okay in a 55 at least for a while

Lol I just can't find a bottom feeder or algae eater that will be appropriate for that size of tank :( I'm glad I'm on the right track with my "permanent" homed fish. I was told the JD and convict wouldn't agree but they seem to be friendly and as for the parrot fish he is a private little devil. He only comes out of his barrel to watch the loaches eat its almost like he looks out for them :)

Haha yes my parrot is a mean SOB and my convict is super sweet. I had a JD that died who was also best friends with my convict which i too was told would not work.

Lol I just can't find a bottom feeder or algae eater that will be appropriate for that size of tank :( I'm glad I'm on the right track with my "permanent" homed fish. I was told the JD and convict wouldn't agree but they seem to be friendly and as for the parrot fish he is a private little devil. He only comes out of his barrel to watch the loaches eat its almost like he looks out for them :)
The issues usually arise when the fish mature and there is a major size difference, or when some fish decide to pair off.

As for stocking, you can stock whatever you want, pretty much anything can be made to work out in the short term. Specific stocking advice is given with the long term in mind.

I'm pretty much settled with the JD, the convict, and the parrot being my south American tank. I'm trying to find a smaller adult size bottom feeder or Algae eater that won't be so small he'll get eaten. I'm hoping they can stay in the 55 for at least a year. This is for sure my fave tank set up so far ;)

mikeISright said:
Haha yes my parrot is a mean SOB and my convict is super sweet. I had a JD that died who was also best friends with my convict which i too was told would not work.

I'm glad to hear that my JD and convict buddies aren't oddballs ;) did your parrot eventually grow out of being shy?

Just to get technical I believe that JD's and cons are from central america, and BP's aren't from anywhere. Not that it matters a whole lot, they have similar care requirements.

I have yellow convicts and JDs/EBJD myself but do not keep them together.

jetajockey said:
Just to get technical I believe that JD's and cons are from central america, and BP's aren't from anywhere. Not that it matters a whole lot, they have similar care requirements.

I have yellow convicts and JDs/EBJD myself but do not keep them together.

I'm pretty sure I was told that but I'm pretty good at forgetting things. That's good to know tho for research purposes. Any info is good info for me, I'm a newbie so I'm trying to be a sponge :)

Loureed said:
I'm pretty much settled with the JD, the convict, and the parrot being my south American tank. I'm trying to find a smaller adult size bottom feeder or Algae eater that won't be so small he'll get eaten. I'm hoping they can stay in the 55 for at least a year. This is for sure my fave tank set up so far ;)

Just get any of the smaller plecos.

Sharkbait54 said:
Just get any of the smaller plecos.

Any specifics? The guys at the lfs told me they have run of the mill plecos which get huge and another type ( can't recall the name) that only gets 4 inches long, would he get eaten?

Thank you! I will check the selection out tomorrow and see if they have a buddy for my tank :)

Ok so looked at the bristle nose, they didn't have any mature enough for my siZe fish. I fairly certain tho that I won't be returning to that store again, as they dye their parrot fish ( mine lost most of his black coloring on his fins as well as the ones in the tank there at the store in less than a week) and bc I overheard the fish manager tell an associate he wouldn't speak with us we were the crazy fish people and he hated talking to us bc we re self righteous ( meaning we are ethical). The nerve of these kids these days!

Back
Top Bottom