Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

30B Build for West African Riparium Biotope Input Needed

I've been working for awhile now on this concept of building a West African Riverian biotope tank. At this point, I've aquired a pair of Kribs, a school of Congo tetras, and a small school of synodontis catfish. I'm working on incorperating a canister filter to drive the return, which will be a PVC pipe channel below the substrate with various outlets, and I'd like to make one of those outlets a small waterfall.

The concept for the channeled return is based loosely on this article, which butterfly_Koi was kind enought to find and link for me;
Constructing Under-Gravel Jets

I'm planning to use a larger canister filter to drive the return manifold.

I'm leaning towards a riparium type tank, but I'm working with a 30 breeder, so height is pretty limited. Since I want to add some African butterfly cichlids (not sure if that may be too much of a bioload), I'm trying to figure all that out with a screen cover.

I've already managed to aquire a number of varieties of anubias and Java fern, and will be adding some plants as I go. The substrate will be white sand and I'll be attempting either a foam 3-D background or a BS foamed type background to cover the rear wall.

Here's the current layout of the channeled return, the return line will enter on the right side via the grey connection and then exit from the various openings. The main portions of the manifold will be behind the background or under the substrate and rock piles will cover the outflows.

At this point, any thoughts or input on the design or stocking are welcome.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry but this is a petpeeve of mine:

Biotype: a group of organisms having the same genotype.

Biotope: an area of uniform environmental conditions providing a living place for a specific assemblage of plants and animals.

This does sound like a interesting project and will be following along! I would just paint the glass though, 3D backgrounds are a pain!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm interested in the undergravel jet system so ill def be following along on this one
Old 11-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
Sorry but this is a petpeeve of mine:

Biotype: a group of organisms having the same genotype.

Biotope: an area of uniform environmental conditions providing a living place for a specific assemblage of plants and animals.

This does sound like a interesting project and will be following along! I would just paint the glass though, 3D backgrounds are a pain!
Ahhh, thank you. I'll get that now.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 11-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I subscribed to follow along as I love watching yours and mommas builds just been staying quite. Nice job on the plumbing do you have two canisters going into that?

To what mogurako said I've always wondered what the difference was thanks for that . Lol the dictionary wasn't much help
Old 11-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
I subscribed to follow along as I love watching yours and mommas builds just been staying quite. Nice job on the plumbing do you have two canisters going into that?
No, the initial plan is for only one, input coming in on the right hand side. We'll have to see how the waterflow does however.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #7

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would use a external sump and overflow box, this way a larger return pump may be used to help with the added water movement that's desired.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade

No, the initial plan is for only one, input coming in on the right hand side. We'll have to see how the waterflow does however.
Gotcha on the app it looked like one on the right and one on the left.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
I would use a external sump and overflow box, this way a larger return pump may be used to help with the added water movement that's desired.
I really don't like overflow boxes (too many floods), but I had considered drilling for an overflow. I do have room behind the cabinet for another tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
Gotcha on the app it looked like one on the right and one on the left.
The one on the left will hopefully become a waterfall.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Messing around a little with some aquascaping ideas;

Tags
african, bio, biotope, build, oto, riparium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com