30G Cycled Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thager917

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tank mates for Jewels?

Hi all,

I have been doing A LOT of research on what to stock my 30g cycled tank with. I love cichlids but wanted to make sure I wasn't overstocking, so I used AQAdvisor.

I decided on Jewel Cichlids, but now I'm struggling to find compatible tank mates.

After hours of lurking and reading through old threads, I noticed Tiger barbs or other barbs were mentioned a lot in cichlid tank stock lists. However, when I added that to my stocklist of AQAdvisor it stated "Warning: When Jewel Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with ..."

Do any of you have suggestions on what can go in a tank with Jewels? I feel like I'm going in circles.:banghead:

Thanks in advance!

So after you cycled the tank how many jewel cichlids did you add just a pair or how many?

So after you cycled the tank how many jewel cichlids did you add just a pair or how many?

I haven't added any yet. I have only made the decision those are the cichlids I want based on my tank size. I was thinking 2 maybe 3.

I would get just 2 jewel cichlids try to get a male and female you can google how to sex them and its pretty easy. As far as tankmates go I think you could pull off

2- Jewel Cichlids
10- Tiger Barbs

That's all I would get anyway.

I would get just 2 jewel cichlids try to get a male and female you can google how to sex them and its pretty easy. As far as tankmates go I think you could pull off

2- Jewel Cichlids
10- Tiger Barbs

That's all I would get anyway.

Thanks for the help! I'm looking up how to sex the jewels now.

Ooooo jewels and tiger barbs in a 30 Hmmm think i may need to try this also. Man my mts is now out of control. This should look awesome and be a really active tank.

Ooooo jewels and tiger barbs in a 30 Hmmm think i may need to try this also. Man my mts is now out of control. This should look awesome and be a really active tank.

I went to my LFS to pick out my fish and they had a "sick sign" on the tank of convicts next to the jewels. So, I walked back out of the store and went to petsmart to see if they had a decent selection. I was shocked that the fish they had were VERY nice. No frayed fins, very active, colorful, etc.

I picked out the 2 Jewels that looked male and female. They are following eachother all over my tank but not showing signs of aggression towards eachother. My 4 year old actually says they are "cuddling" because they practically sit on top of eachother.

The bummer was that they only had 6 Tiger Barbs that looked big enough that they wouldn't be picked on. So far everyone is getting along well.

:fish2:

Nice nice pictures???

It was hard to get good pictures because these buggers are so fast! I got a few pics though. We had the gravel from our last tank, and my son picked out the ugly green caves. lol

Picture 1: some of the barbs and the Jewels coming out to investigate
img_2846941_0_3f378706fc84ef0f0546fd9de4d577a4.jpg

Picture 2: The Jewels hiding after I put them in the tank.
img_2846941_1_06cd9439ac4658d71215b6f6affa8fdc.jpg

Picture 3: I believe this is the male, He is the bigger of the 2 Jewels, his markings are more prominent. His coloring is brighter and the irridescent blue goes all the way through to the end of his tail fin.
img_2846941_2_293f64e59ee4b7acd842d57b9234f420.jpg

That gravel is so wacky haha, best of luck getting a pairing.

lol very wacky. I eventually want to do sand or natural looking gravel. I am trying not to change too much all at once or I will have a 4 and 7 year old having breakdowns and needing therapy.

Nice good job! It's fun having the kiddos involved. Mine have their own tank it has the same color gravel with pink purple and orange plants. But they love it my 3 year old can name more fish than many adults.

Nice good job! It's fun having the kiddos involved. Mine have their own tank it has the same color gravel with pink purple and orange plants. But they love it my 3 year old can name more fish than many adults.

My son was with me today and picked out the things he wanted for his own tank. He had a hamster and didn't do so well taking care of that, so I hesitate to get him a tank. It may give me an excuse to get another one though.

Maybe for his 8th birthday he can get his own tank. That is 11 months away lol.

Back
Top Bottom