35 mile move any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxlerod

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to be moving in two weeks and it has me up at night. Besides moving four bedrooms and all the other rooms that go with it. A garage full of tools, sand toys, spare parts, and the dogs. I have a 155 gl., two 60 gl. And a 40gl. With nothing but cichlids that are priceless to me. Any advice on how to make the move with zero losses. I know this may not be appropriate to this forum, but this is the one I follow and find the people on this forum the most knowledgeable.

Is there any time lapse between the two (can you set up at the new house before moving)

Mrc8858 said:
Is there any time lapse between the two (can you set up at the new house before moving)

I have about 5 days to make the move and I know some people might say, it's only four tanks. BUT they all are well established and very distinct in its inhabitants. Moving the fish around while I set up the tanks is going to be risky for the ones that get temporarily displaced. I don't know if emptying out the tanks of all rocks and decor prior to the move will be good in order to breakdown territories or would it just disturb the harmony even more.

I wouldn't disturb them till just before the move. I'd drain the water into buckets, put the fish in, get the tank and buckets moved, and while I'm preparing the tank put a filter and/or air stone in with the fish. Also, keeping a towel over them helps to cut down on stress.

I've never moved anything that big but this method has always worked for me.

Good luck!

Anything else? Anyone? How about holding back feeding days prior to the move?

Also have never moved one that big.

Would recommend Rubbermaid totes for fish. Move big tank one day, the next day try the rest or split the moves into three days, maybe at the end of the days so you can monitor the fish better that night. Good luck on the move.

Ok people not be a nag. But I will be. Because I do need help. Should I hold back feeding before the move. If so how many days. When shipping a dog you taper the food and give him a very light sedative (Benadryl). Give him water with the maximum allowable potty breaks. With my fish, which I do not want to have a single loss, I need some advice. Especially from you breeders that ship all the time. Should I clear out my tanks before hand. The fish will be temporarily housed in each of my 6-7 currently running tanks.

I will be trying to get some styrofoam shipping containers and some thick bags this weekend.

6-7 because I am thinking of breaking one down today. Oh, I also have a pond. Oh boy so not looking forward to this.

Attachments

• image-2916467739.jpg
    image-2916467739.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image-1896407308.jpg
    image-1896407308.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 70
more ideas

If you will be setting up transitional tanks, remember to get enough seeded media startied now to have enough for the transitional tanks at the new house.

Do you have a pond at the new house? Horse/livestock trough or a big kiddie pool are good for keeping fish in temporarily.

Cute pond btw!

Just in case anybody cares. The move is DONE!!! No casualties even the fry made it. The water from the tap came out at 80 degrees, that's from the hose outside. The last two weeks have been 100+ degree days so it was a bit perilous with all the fish sitting in the back of a truck and trailer in 18 gl containers. My bros that helped couldn't understand the meticulous attention to detail I spent making sure everything was moved accordingly. One even suggested throwing them in the pool till the tanks were set up. I tossed them a beer and they simmered down. Necessity is the mother of invention. Nothing beets experience. So if anyone needs help with a move let me know. Now for the unpack of everything else.

image-1107593812.jpg

Worth it.

Back
Top Bottom