Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

35G African Tank?

Hi All
Im am considering my options i have a 70gal community aquarium. But i am trying to decide what to keep in my 35Gal.. African cichlids or a asst tetra tank..
Can a African tank be done in a 35gal? if not ok.. If yes what type can be kept together in a tank this size? Preff not mean aggressive cichlids.
Thanks

Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its too small for Africans imo. What about a pair of rams or apistos with tetras?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel618 View Post
Its too small for Africans imo. What about a pair of rams or apistos with tetras?
I have 2 rams in my community. I love them.. so just keep a pair of rams you think? Can i keep anymore?

Thanks for the reply (i will research the apistos)
Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

An African tank can absolutely be done in a 35 gallon, depending on dimensions of course. For a tank that size, I would look into a brichardi breeding colony (their behavior is fascinating, previous generations will help raise the next, and so on), or you could easily keep leleupi, or a nice shell dweller tank.

Depending on your current stock list, it might be possible to move the residents from your 70 gallon to the 35, and use the 70 gallon for African cichlids. This would be a good option IMO if you are sold on Malawi cichlids.

Hope this helps!
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
An African tank can absolutely be done in a 35 gallon, depending on dimensions of course. For a tank that size, I would look into a brichardi breeding colony (their behavior is fascinating, previous generations will help raise the next, and so on), or you could easily keep leleupi, or a nice shell dweller tank.

Depending on your current stock list, it might be possible to move the residents from your 70 gallon to the 35, and use the 70 gallon for African cichlids. This would be a good option IMO if you are sold on Malawi cichlids.

Hope this helps!
Wow very interesting! thanks, deff thinking about this
Old 02-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama

Hope this helps!
Yeah I kinda forgot about them. Anymore I just assume people mean, mbuna, peacocks and haps. Imo make the 70 a Malawi tank and the 35 a community tank.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel618

Yeah I kinda forgot about them. Anymore I just assume people mean, mbuna, peacocks and haps. Imo make the 70 a Malawi tank and the 35 a community tank.
Thanks for your help Its down to two choices now. May go the rams as hubby likes the tetras but I live the princess cichlids too.. Ahhh

Tags
african, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com