Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

36 bow front tanganyika setup?

Hi all! I'm toying w the idea of switching my other tank to a tanganyikan setup. My lfs has anything I could want in terms of Africans and am curious what I could do for a tanganyika biotope? Any suggestions? Here it is now just a boring community tank that had rams that didn't work out. I'd obviously add lots of rock. I like the shell dweller thing but they're 20 a pop at the store. Throw some ideas at me! Could Julie's or brichardi or leulupi work?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmoseley View Post
Hi all! I'm toying w the idea of switching my other tank to a tanganyikan setup. My lfs has anything I could want in terms of Africans and am curious what I could do for a tanganyika biotope? Any suggestions? Here it is now just a boring community tank that had rams that didn't work out. I'd obviously add lots of rock. I like the shell dweller thing but they're 20 a pop at the store. Throw some ideas at me! Could Julie's or brichardi or leulupi work?
Here it is sorry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392959252.665383.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	223923

Old 02-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, order your shellys online! I'm turning my 20g long into a shelly tank ( neolamprologus multifasciatus) and those are by far the easiest from what I've read. I'm not sure where you live so I can't offer a website to order from
Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Well, order your shellys online! I'm turning my 20g long into a shelly tank ( neolamprologus multifasciatus) and those are by far the easiest from what I've read. I'm not sure where you live so I can't offer a website to order from
M in Boston so lotsa places won't ship here till weather warms up plus I'm scared to do that I never have! Plus I'm impatient so wouldn't wanna wait-I'd end up paying the store price if I want to go that route! Lol
Old 02-21-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmoseley View Post

M in Boston so lotsa places won't ship here till weather warms up plus I'm scared to do that I never have! Plus I'm impatient so wouldn't wanna wait-I'd end up paying the store price if I want to go that route! Lol
Well online they are 8.99 a piece where I'm gonna get mine. Shipping is overnight with heatpacks and they are F1s

Edit. He is out of F1s but has other shell dwellers. Here is his website. He is a great guy and very reasonable

http://www.davesfish.com/
Old 02-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd recommend thinking of the tank in three parts. From the left you want a rock pile in that third in the centre third a shell area with vallis and the right third a rock pile. I'd stock with two pairs of rock dwellers julies and altos work well with shellies. Instead of multis I'd recommend neolamprologus brevis they a bit bigger and can handle the julies and altos.

here's my attempt :-

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140216_142431.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	223945   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140214_215708.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	223947  

Name:	20140214_215651.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	223960   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140214_215744.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	223961  

Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfriends3 View Post
I'd recommend thinking of the tank in three parts. From the left you want a rock pile in that third in the centre third a shell area with vallis and the right third a rock pile. I'd stock with two pairs of rock dwellers julies and altos work well with shellies. Instead of multis I'd recommend neolamprologus brevis they a bit bigger and can handle the julies and altos.

That's awesome! What size tank is it?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfriends3 View Post

You do realize that multis are one of the more aggressive species, right? They can easily fend off larger fish, I watch them do it every day with my leleupi.

In a 36 bow, I would do a colony of shellies, either brevis, multifasciatus, or ocelattus (there's other awesome species, but these are perfect for beginners to shellies). I'd do a single pair of julidochromis (marlieri, ornatus, dickfieldii, etc.). I'd avoid a leleupi, they can be a bit aggressive, mine likes to try and raid my multi nests, although they put him in his place every time. I would only add a single calvus/compressiceps personally, as they do grow to a good size, and are fry eaters as adults. Finally, I would add a small group of synodontis petricola or preferably lucipinnis (or if you can find lophiobagrus cyclurus, the tanganyikan dwarf bullhead catfish, hard to find, but I love mine). It's not gonna be a perfect breeding set up, but it will make a good display, and the behaviors these fish exhbiti are like none other on earth IMO. They really are a world of a difference from the other rift lakes
Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Why only 50% of photos load. It's a 63.4 gallon. Oh julies I have are transcriptus gombe you should check them out as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140214_215654.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	223954   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140214_215743.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	223955  

Old 02-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Local guy breeds petricola. Is 2 ok for this size tank? Or 1,3? How many Shellie's if I do the pair of Julie's and a single comp?

Tags
bow front, setup, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com