3d background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. I'm thinking of trying a background like the link here. My question is would it be easy (and should i ) to put heaters and filter intakes behind it? I just don't see them performing as they're intended behind it but if not what do I do? I probably never will as I don't wanna drain my tank again. But may go w something like the second link to get some height and some background. Interested on thoughts and experience. Pic of tank now is there. I'd likely switch to more matching rock in front not river rock.

Crevice Style Background - Various Sizes | Aquarium Products | Universal Rocks

Background Feature Rocks - 18" & 22" High | Universal Rocks
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390609459.055477.jpg

I have the crevice background in my fire belly toad tank. It looks great. Now, with that being said, looking at the site, they do have heater covers, so that part shouldn't be an issue. As for your filter, I'd just put the background in and leave the filter out over the background, maybe get another of the heater covers, trim it to fit your filter intake. Shorten it so it doesn't cover the strainer.

Thanks for the reply! How would the intakes fit over the background? I'm not sure the top is wide enough to extend it out enough. You know what I mean?

I don't care if its hidden I jut want it all to work together. Pic of it is blue piece on left. Side w black cap is on outside and the other end attaches to intake in tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390611349.224029.jpg

You would need to fit them down through a "valley" in the design. The background fits pretty close to the glass if you use the clips provided to hold it in place. We used silicone, but I'm sure you don't want to take your tank down and wait for it to cure.

You might be able to find some PVC elbows that fit your filter system to extend the bends if need be.

I installed a 3D rock background when I purchased my new 100gal setup that was siliconed in place by the seller. 3 years on, it looks just as good as the day I bought it, perhaps better because it is covered in algae that my cichlids love to nibble on. The only downfall is you cannot stick heaters or other accessories on the back wall but you will figure out a way around that. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390953878.137546.jpg

Very nice! I think my intake would be fine. The pic shows it in blue. I can just suction it to back of outside the tank and let it sit inside over it. It's the output I'm worried about. It's not as wide. And the side isn't an option I have a wood canopy that covers front and the sides. Back is open . ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390959632.890961.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390959662.153826.jpg

Back
Top Bottom