Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bsantucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 184
46 Gallon Bow, How many pairs?

Hi all,

I have a 46 Gallon Bow Front and I'm curious if I can keep more than just my 2 Bolivian Rams in it?

Current stocking:

2 x Bolivian Rams
6 x Zebra Danios
6 x Guppies (all male, no babies)
4 x Bronze Cories
2 x Peacock Gudgeons
2 x Bamboo Shrimp
2 x Nerite Snails

This tank will be pretty heavily planted (converting to eco complete this weekend) and have approximately 20 Malaysian trumpet snails as well. I'm curious if I could add a pair of Apistos possibly? Would I have problems with the Rams and them?
__________________

__________________
bsantucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,874
Ina tank that size I would say only 1 pair of Bolivians and no apistos as dwarf chiclids should never be mixed due to possible aggression. Also a school of about 6 tetras would make that stock awesome!
__________________

__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Hi all,

I have a 46 Gallon Bow Front and I'm curious if I can keep more than just my 2 Bolivian Rams in it?

Current stocking:

2 x Bolivian Rams
6 x Zebra Danios
6 x Guppies (all male, no babies)
4 x Bronze Cories
2 x Peacock Gudgeons
2 x Bamboo Shrimp
2 x Nerite Snails

This tank will be pretty heavily planted (converting to eco complete this weekend) and have approximately 20 Malaysian trumpet snails as well. I'm curious if I could add a pair of Apistos possibly? Would I have problems with the Rams and them?
You would be okay adding a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides or a similar sized apistogramma species IMO. Your tank is large enough and heavily planted with some rocks and driftwood should provide plenty of hiding spaces.
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bsantucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Ina tank that size I would say only 1 pair of Bolivians and no apistos as dwarf chiclids should never be mixed due to possible aggression. Also a school of about 6 tetras would make that stock awesome!
Cool thanks! I wasn't sure as I saw on another board people saying you could mix rams and apistos.
__________________
bsantucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bsantucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
You would be okay adding a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides or a similar sized apistogramma species IMO. Your tank is large enough and heavily planted with some rocks and driftwood should provide plenty of hiding spaces.
Awesome, now that's an answer I like

I have three pieces of driftwood which actually link up pretty well so I'll be using them as a large piece laying over each other. I am also building slopes in the tank to help with making certain areas lusher. I will have rocks set up as caves (I also have Cichlid stone caves if need be).

Thanks!
__________________
bsantucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post

Awesome, now that's an answer I like

I have three pieces of driftwood which actually link up pretty well so I'll be using them as a large piece laying over each other. I am also building slopes in the tank to help with making certain areas lusher. I will have rocks set up as caves (I also have Cichlid stone caves if need be).

Thanks!
I would add the Cichlid stones. Apistogramma really appreciate having caves. Also the rams won't use them so much and they will have their own space
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bsantucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
I would add the Cichlid stones. Apistogramma really appreciate having caves. Also the rams won't use them so much and they will have their own space
Will do, I'll have to figure a way to incorporate them into the tank. I kinda wanted to go all natural with caves made from stones.....we'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!
__________________
bsantucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post

Will do, I'll have to figure a way to incorporate them into the tank. I kinda wanted to go all natural with caves made from stones.....we'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!
What ever works. I just build little "huts" for mine out of slate.
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bsantucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 184
ok cool, I was planning on getting some slate for caves as well....trading some danio fry for slate saturday at my LFS.
__________________
bsantucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
That's good, otherwise go to a landscaping place there it will only be like $.10 a pound.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1988855330.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	195085

Here's my male checking out one if his caves
__________________

__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
46 gallon, 6 gallon, air, gallon, pair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.