55 gal oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi
I have a new neighbor with a 55 gallon Oscar tank who told my hubby he is going to ask me for stocking tips.
I am planning to explain he will need an 18" depth tank once the little guy grows.
Please let me know what he would need to do to give the Oscar tank mates - I think they would need to be bigger and semi aggressive.
He was talking pleco too.
I also want to give him better ideas for a 55 in case going bigger is not an option.

Thanks!

Well, to keep an Oscar alone it's advised to have 75g tank. For tank mates I'd say at least a 125g especially for a common pleco. Most other large SA/NA cichlids should work but I have no experience with that.

Thanks! I don't either, but good to know I was on the right track. We shall see how this goes...

An Oscar and a pleco .... Even as juveniles will demolish a 55 in a day or two. Oscars a messy cats. And plecos are even worse. Both have a LARGE bio load... To make that happen and have healthy fish he'd need 200% filtration and a huge sump. I've got a single Oscar and some silver dollars in my 75 ... Tried the pleco and it pooped EVERWHERE. So much poop.... Never seen so much poop from such a small fish

Back
Top Bottom