55 gal stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yea but i want a fish that looks really mean too

here are the charateristics i am looking for:

Pure really terribly evil
beautiful colors
really really big
and i am able to get 2-3 of them in a tank

Dovii :twisted: Just kidding--entirely too big for a 55.

Hmmm... Maybe a juvi Festae (Red Terror)? I find their colors to be incredible and they have a temper to match it. But... again... just a matter of time before it outgrows your 55.

tsk tsk tsk always downers for the most beautiful big fish :roll: but this is what i gfet for wanting a pure evil tank

also like i said in page 1 why cant i get 10 redbelly pacus in there? if so i know i will have to add them all at once

also like i said in page 1 why cant i get 10 redbelly pacus in there? if so i know i will have to add them all at once

Because one red belly pacu can grow to be well more that 20" long in an aquarium, more than 3 ft in their natural habitat. Trust me. IF you really wanted a pacu, you could get one, and that's it, only one. And even then, they are mainly herbivores, won't be as agressive as you think, and would outgrow your tank in no time at all.

Get some cichlids, all your problems will be solved.

well i dont have the money for the 55 gal to be SW its like $1000 for me to do that

so i am going with my 29 gal to be the SW tank but can i get 2 or maybe if i am lucky 3 oscars ina 55 gal, and when 1 grows too big i can take him to the pet shop and trade him in???

Rudy I would forget cichlids... amazing fish but I think for what your thinking you wouldn't be able to keep the really really big nasty ones for long

Cichlids will bully around other fish but I think youd enjoy some other fish more

freshwater barracuda are amazing to watch eat and you could keep two in a 55 gal, they have big teeth. or red bellie parranha are mean guys that get large, look scary and could be kept in 55gal

As everyone has said i would stick with 1-3 max of either of those... with maybe a large pleco

-Hutch

Why exactly do you want really mean fish that will bite everyone except you? To impress people on how agressive you can make your fish? Well, here's an idea, go ahead, put your 10 pacus in your 55 gal, and then you'll have a big, fun fight to look at sure enough!!! :D

I don't see the point...But if you want really agressive fish, do so responsibly, and don't ask if you can keep ten pacus in one tank if it has already been stated that you could hardly keep one.

I find that agressive fish look cramped in anything less that 120 gals. If you want big agressive fish do extra chores earn some money and save up for like a 150 gal tank to put 2 or 3 "showpeace" fish in. Buy them small so they can grow. That way you could go with a large pleco and or other suitable catfish. Lots of drifwood and rock work.

If you want them because tough fish are macho then I doubt that they are going to a good home. Kind of reminds me of, like keeping a pitbulls then it mauls the owners baby. Prove your manhood in a more prodictive way.

no, i want them so i can have mean fish and community fish cause i want to even it out, i have a tank that is nice, and a tank that is really mean so its even ^_^

also, how much is a 150 gal tank that is not reef ready, and do i have to buy a stand for it or can i set it on the floor?

i have no animals in my room

and how many filters would i need to keep it clean?? and how long would it take for it to cycle?

Rudy_627 said:
also, how much is a 150 gal tank that is not reef ready, and do i have to buy a stand for it or can i set it on the floor?
Depends where you buy from. I think you would need a stand.

Rudy_627 said:
and how many filters would i need to keep it clean?? and how long would it take for it to cycle?
It all depends on what fish.

how about 3 Jack Dempseys 1 female 2 males

*EDIT*

For the possible...... 150 gal

Geeze people, designing and maintaining all aspects of a fish tank is a very personal thing. There is no right or wrong way to do it, so long as the fish have a humane way to live. Rudy, if you wanted to get 10 red belly pirranas go ahead and get small ones, but be ready to sell some if they get too big.
You should also keep in mind that really aggressive fish arent really aggressive if there is nothing to compare them to (for them to be aggressive toward). So getting one or two big aggressive fish may not be as "aggressive" as you think, but if that is what you want, go ahead and do it. It is personal tastes that give this hobby such a wide range of enthusiasts. Just do it responsibly.
What do you think of my setup, they are small but some do stand out as aggressive. It is fun to watch who is bullying who at what time.

umm...pacus get kind of enormous...they have some at the ppg aquarium in here in pittsburgh that are close to 200 pounds...how about some piranahas if you want really agressive...

Back
Top Bottom