55 gal Stocking Suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBlackSloth93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm moving soon and with that comes a perfect reason to re do my whole tank. It's a 55 gal with two hang on the back Aqua Clear 120's. Any way I have had cichlids my whole life but mostly South American and Central American with the exception of Krib's.
I would like to put in Africans but I know only a little about them. I'm not sure what kinds or how many I can place in there. But I do know I'd like to have them breed if possible. Any info on stocking and fish size would be helpful.
Again the whole tank will be redone with the exception of filters.
Thanks for any info.

Hi. I also have a 55 gallon tank. I stock African cichlids. I stick to the mbuna cichlids because they are smaller than peacocks and haps (also African cichlids) they get about 5 in max. I have 12 juveniles in mine. People say you need/can stock more than usual to spread out the aggression. They are mean lol I think you have good filtration to house 15 or 20. I have 2 HOB 75 gal aqueon filters. I might add one or two more. No more than 15 because I don't like to over stock. Hope this helps.

Thanks it does. Wasn't sure what lake to go with. I think besides keeping the fish my favorite part is the work and time I put into the aqua scape with rocks and sand/gravel. Any recommendations as to the substrate. I've heard crushed coral but my tap water is luckily around 7.8 when it comes out. I don't like sand because of how junk tends to just stay on the surface of it.

Thanks it does. Wasn't sure what lake to go with. I think besides keeping the fish my favorite part is the work and time I put into the aqua scape with rocks and sand/gravel. Any recommendations as to the substrate. I've heard crushed coral but my tap water is luckily around 7.8 when it comes out. I don't like sand because of how junk tends to just stay on the surface of it.

What about a tanganyika tank? Or you could do a single species of victorians, but thats pretty uncommon. Crushed coral can work, but sand is also pretty good because most africans, if not all, are substrate diggers.

I would keep tanganyikan cichlids. I would keep julidochromis cichlids, tropheus duboisi, and neolamprologus leleupi

I have lake Malawi cichlids (mbuna) as they need high ph and hard water Sounds like you have that. Idk much about what comes out of the other lakes.

Oh and they prefer sand I use heavy grain pool sand and I love it

Attachments

• image-1955014589.jpg
    image-1955014589.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 48
I know I'd like to do a lake Malawi tank. And go with most likely thick grain sand or coral. I just need to figure out the fish I want in there now.
I will be buying them online most likely. Any good sites?
Also how do I get a 1M 4F ratio without seeing the fish?

Liveaquaria is one of the most popular sites. I'd get an albino zebra cichlid or some yellow labs. As for getting the right ratio, you need to have luck on your side unless you buy from a private individual who sells fish by gender.

Back
Top Bottom