55 Gallon Cichlid Aqaurium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrodqualls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 55 Gallon Aquarium runs off a Penguin bio wheel 200 with dual filter cartdrige placement, a heater made for 30/60 gallon aquariums, Whisper Power Filter with bio pad made for 2/10 gallon aqauriums, 2 24" hood an light fixtures with 15 watt bulbs, in the tank I have 4 Convict Cichlids, 2 Electric Yellow Labs, one man made blue Jellybean Parrot Cichlid, and one Chocolate common pleco ( which will be moved to my local pet store after he gets around 6"). I also have one plant made for growing on top water but I have it anchored down. 2 of the Convicts have laid eggs in a clay pot. All of these fish have been living together even with the eggs happily for around 2 weeks. Can you please give me some input on what I could.do to make the fish do well long term. I've raised oscars for years now an wanted something different. Thank you :) no argueing here either please.

ForumRunner_20120706_165734.jpg

So the tank has been stocked for 2 weeks? I think you may end up with some issues with your stock as you have cichlids from all over together. If I were you, I would pick which of those fish you like best, and build a good stock around that. To do so, you'd have to rehome some of the ones that aren't compatible. For example, if you love the convicts, keep them and rehome the yellow labs or vice versa.

Best of luck!!

They have all been in the same tank about a month to a month ina week. I really like the convicts but yellow labs are super fun to watch lol. Ill probably stick with the yellow labs. What about the parrot tho? It should be fine with the yellow labs right? An thanks.

Andrew McFadden said:
If you keep the labs everything must go but the pleco

+1 if it were me id get rid of all but the labs then bump them up to a 1/3 ratio.. then you could stock a mbuna tank which is very colorful and active. You could do about 10-15 mbunas if stocked correctly

There are a LOT lol best place I've found personally for mbunas is josh Davis at livefishdirect.com go browse his site a little

There are a lot of options! In my tank with yellow labs I have yellow tail acei (blue with yellow tails), red zebras, Kenyi, maingano, and a snowflake cichlid (socoloffi or something like that).

Okay thanks much lol I will that an post later what I've decided. My local pet guy will take these other fish back no probs.

Back
Top Bottom