55 gallon cichlid few random questions and need scientific names??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my Ifs? The only pet stores I have around here is petsmart, animal house, and petcetra

Well i know petsmart doesnt do special orders but my petsmart does have a type of afra just not sure which one. Im not familiar with the other 2 you named but if they arent a big chain pet store they prolly will see about getting you the fish you want just be sure to bring the scientific name so they will know which one..

Well i know petsmart doesnt do special orders but my petsmart does have a type of afra just not sure which one. Im not familiar with the other 2 you named but if they arent a big chain pet store they prolly will see about getting you the fish you want just be sure to bring the scientific name so they will know which one..

the animal house is a family owned little store so do you think they will order it for me??

Just so you know nobody lists them under the name that was given in the profile. The most common name that everyone uses is afra cobue orange back. Most mom and pop stores will order fish in that people want so just ask. Its all ya can do.

Ordering online with cichlids are usually better. The more times a cichlid breeds their colors fade. So start with wild caught that's often sold as f0 on sites from big name places. Those are going to have the best color their fry would be called f1 they are pretty darn nice. After that the colors in the fish start really looking bad, fading not showing lines like they should etc.. so with that being by the time a lfs gets a fish they are usually not as great. Also you have to watch because people will regime fish because they have to many. They may even be a hybrid that looks like another fish. For instance I have a yellow lab and yellow fin mbamba that look just like a libidochromis hongi but they aren't. In fact some of the big time people here will only collect wild or f1 from trusted online places and never get a fish at a local store.

I do see what your saying about picking your own fish I was he same way at first. But that's just a little info ^^ for you to keep in mind.

The Wetspot is a 3hr drive south of me. I go down there a few times a month so I'll be stopping in to see that largest selection they are advertising.

I need one that isn't in the states though. Since i so not live in the states they can not ship to me.

pisces comes from Israel. and if u are from europe, you have nicer fish available to you than we do in the states

pisces comes from Israel. and if u are from europe, you have nicer fish available to you than we do in the states

No i don't live there lol i love in b.c. we have crap for fish :( i wish we had better fish stores. I will ask the mom and pop fish shop tomorrow on the phone if they can special order cichlids. You think they would if they really wanted business and just get me to pay for it before hand

No i don't live there lol i love in b.c. we have crap for fish :( i wish we had better fish stores. I will ask the mom and pop fish shop tomorrow on the phone if they can special order cichlids. You think they would if they really wanted business and just get me to pay for it before hand
I think they would usually they are better with customer care then the big chain stores. Good luck

a good local fish store should be able to order them for you. the fish that u said u wanted in your earlier posts are not hard to find species

okay so i have this so far but how many should i get of the afra cobue orange back?

6 yellow labs (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
6 Mainganos (Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos)
How many?? cynotilapia afra (cobue) afra cobue orange back
3 red zebras (metriaclima estherae)
1 bristlenose pleco
I am going to phone and ask if they can special order cichlids for me in a few mins here. when I give them the name should i give them this whole name so they dont mess it up? (cynotilapia afra (cobue) afra cobue orange back)

okay so i have this so far but how many should i get of the afra cobue orange back?

6 yellow labs (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
6 Mainganos (Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos)
How many?? cynotilapia afra (cobue) afra cobue orange back
3 red zebras (metriaclima estherae)
1 bristlenose pleco
I am going to phone and ask if they can special order cichlids for me in a few mins here. when I give them the name should i give them this whole name so they dont mess it up? (cynotilapia afra (cobue) afra cobue orange back)

Yes give them the full name or you won't know for sure on what cynotilapia you'll get.

I would do 4-6 of them

Those and mangaino stay pretty small

Yes give them the full name or you won't know for sure on what cynotilapia you'll get.

I would do 4-6 of them

Those and mangaino stay pretty small

i have slightly changesd my plan.... i am now wanting
6 Haplochromis sp Ruby green
6 electric yellow (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
1 or 3 yellow tailed acei (Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli))
6 afra cobue orange back
1 pleco

Back
Top Bottom