55 gallon cichlid few random questions and need scientific names??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haplochromis sp Ruby green is a victorian hap and shouldn't be mixed with mbuna. The rest of your stock list minus the pleco are all mbuna and are aggressive fish. The ruby green is a relatively peaceful fish and the mbuna are likely to kill it. IMO add a different mbuna and don't add the ruby green

Haplochromis sp Ruby green is a victorian hap and shouldn't be mixed with mbuna. The rest of your stock list minus the pleco are all mbuna and are aggressive fish. The ruby green is a relatively peaceful fish and the mbuna are likely to kill it. IMO add a different mbuna and don't add the ruby green

okay.... well i need a bristlenose pleco, really want 6 electric yellow (Labidochromis Caeruleus), Should i do 1 or 3 of the yellow tailed acei (Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli))??? 4 or 6 of the afra cobue orange back?? what else should i add then

the pleco should be ok, but sometimes the mbuna will pick on them, it is hit or miss. do some reading up on lake malawi mbuna Cichlid Profiles when you find fish that you like make sure they are compatible, some species will crossbreed like we mentioned earlier. I don't think the Acei's are a good fit for a 55 gallon tank, they get quite large. google dwarf mbuna.

also these fish are very territorial, try to start with fry or small juvies, they will be more likely to get along as they mature. If you get adult fish get 1 male for every 3-4 females

the pleco should be ok, but sometimes the mbuna will pick on them, it is hit or miss. do some reading up on lake malawi mbuna Cichlid Profiles when you find fish that you like make sure they are compatible, some species will crossbreed like we mentioned earlier. I don't think the Acei's are a good fit for a 55 gallon tank, they get quite large. google dwarf mbuna.

also these fish are very territorial, try to start with fry or small juvies, they will be more likely to get along as they mature. If you get adult fish get 1 male for every 3-4 females

yes i buy them when they are about an inch long. I went to the store and found out what cichlids they have. I did not really find any of the ones that I want there. only like two electric yellows and that is it. I seen that they have a tank called assorted cichlids and it looked like they had about 5 blue kenyiis and a few yellow, some electric yellows, a orange/brown guy maybe a rusty? also a few more in there. i asked the guy if i could just get them all and if they would get along. he said that they should. the reason they are called assorted is because they are hybrid and they dont know what they are. (3 or the cichlids that were in the tank they raised in the back because a fish they got had eggs in her mouth so they have no idea what they are). can I just get like 18 or the assorted cichlids? I makes things so much easyer!!!

yes i buy them when they are about an inch long. I went to the store and found out what cichlids they have. I did not really find any of the ones that I want there. only like two electric yellows and that is it. I seen that they have a tank called assorted cichlids and it looked like they had about 5 blue kenyiis and a few yellow, some electric yellows, a orange/brown guy maybe a rusty? also a few more in there. i asked the guy if i could just get them all and if they would get along. he said that they should. the reason they are called assorted is because they are hybrid and they dont know what they are. (3 or the cichlids that were in the tank they raised in the back because a fish they got had eggs in her mouth so they have no idea what they are). can I just get like 18 or the assorted cichlids? I makes things so much easyer!!!

Umm thats not a good idea as you never know what your gettin from the assorted cichlids tank unless you have a lot of experience at identifying cichlids.. a few of the ones off the top of my head i know are in that tank usually are mostly aggressive and really not for people that have no experience with cichlids.. such as the kenyi

Kenyi
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=798

Demasoni
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1321

Bumblebee
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=845

Johanni
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=760

Thats just off the top of my head .. not to mention the hybrids you could get. And certain fish might not be suited for your tank size wise either. You really need to research your fish yourself as well as take the advice from others as they have experience with this. It will prevent a big blood bath and you havin to replace or rehome your fish in the end

Umm thats not a good idea as you never know what your gettin from the assorted cichlids tank unless you have a lot of experience at identifying cichlids.. a few of the ones off the top of my head i know are in that tank usually are mostly aggressive and really not for people that have no experience with cichlids.. such as the kenyi

Kenyi
Cichlid Profiles

Demasoni
Cichlid Profiles

Bumblebee
Cichlid Profiles

Johanni
Cichlid Profiles

Thats just off the top of my head .. not to mention the hybrids you could get. And certain fish might not be suited for your tank size wise either. You really need to research your fish yourself as well as take the advice from others as they have experience with this. It will prevent a big blood bath and you havin to replace or rehome your fish in the end

okay.... well that easy plan failed... I will not do that. they are most likely johannis and zebras. I will try and go to my local store and see if i can special order the ones i want. i will stick to this plan

6 Haplochromis sp Ruby green
6 electric yellow (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
3 yellow tailed acei (Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli))
(?) afra cobue orange back

mariah it all depends on what you want. I do not keep any hybrids what so ever. If down the road the fish have fry (babies) no one will want to buy them because they are hybrids. If you just want a fish tank to keep for yourself and don't plan on selling the fry then u can keep hybrids if you want.

Kjacks also gave you some good advice. Like I mentioned earlier, these fish are very territorial and agressive. You need lots of stacked up rock work in the tank. The fish will claim parts of the tank as their own. I really think you should either start with small fry or go to a good fish store who can vent (sex) the fish for you. Adult males will fight for dominance in the tank so it is best to keep a 1 male to 3 or 4 female ratio. Research all the fish you plan to get on the website I gave you earlier. It has all the different fish profiles
the water parameters that they need, food requirements, size the adult fish will reach etc..

I already told you the ruby green's will not work in that tank..they are a victorian hap and are a peaceful fish. They will get terrorized by the mbuna in that tank

okay.... well that easy plan failed... I will not do that. they are most likely johannis and zebras. I will try and go to my local store and see if i can special order the ones i want. i will stick to this plan

6 Haplochromis sp Ruby green
6 electric yellow (Labidochromis Caeruleus)
3 yellow tailed acei (Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli))
(?) afra cobue orange back
I have no personal experience with ruby greens but i have vics in my tank and they are vicious. Mine are classified as mildly aggressive n they are more aggressive then my mbuna. Im actually having to rehome my pundamillia nyerereis now bc even my females are bad to the bone and my fish arent even fully matured yet. So if ruby green says peaceful with my experience i would assume they are mildy aggressive .. its best not to mix lakes anyway .. dot get me wrong i agree with quest you dont need to add them with our mbuna.. they are either gonna be to peaceful or to aggressive

I already told you the ruby green's will not work in that tank..they are a victorian hap and are a peaceful fish. They will get terrorized by the mbuna in that tank

Oh right!! I am not getting the ruby green. I totally forgot. So i am wanting everytging but that ruby green. What can i use to replace it??

Maybe this will help you it gives different combos of fish and colors and what not.

Cookie Cutter - 55-gallons

I have already looked at that and under the Smaller, Less Aggressive Mbuna Aquarium fish is the 3 kinds i already have and the other ones they have lissted under there i do not really like. are those the only ones that can go with them??

Here is a thread about ordering fish online in Canada. I am on the East Coast so i can't make any recommendations but looked at this thread before when I wanted to order online.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f42/buying-fish-online-in-canada-54516.html

Also, i can't remember if it is in the thread or not but another place you can order from which is in Winnipeg is Spencer Jacks

The aFISHionados - Spencer Jack - Cichlaholic.com

I haven't ordered from here but people on another local forum I belong too order from this site.

Hope this helps>

Here is a thread about ordering fish online in Canada. I am on the East Coast so i can't make any recommendations but looked at this thread before when I wanted to order online.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f42/buying-fish-online-in-canada-54516.html

Also, i can't remember if it is in the thread or not but another place you can order from which is in Winnipeg is Spencer Jacks

The aFISHionados - Spencer Jack - Cichlaholic.com

I haven't ordered from here but people on another local forum I belong too order from this site.

Hope this helps>

thank you, yes it kind of does help but i dont think i can order online since i calculated it and it will cost $55 to ship it to me and that doesnt include if i get more then one box

thank you, yes it kind of does help but i dont think i can order online since i calculated it and it will cost $55 to ship it to me and that doesnt include if i get more then one box

You may not have a choice if you want to get specific fish. Another idea that might work is if you can find other local fish keepers that are interested in ordering specific fish. Then you could all put an order in together and split the shipping. See if you can find a local fish club or forum or maybe post an ad on Kijiji or something. Might work and it helps you out.:fish1:

Here is a listing of some other aquarium clubs, not sure if any of the are near you I didnt really look to see if there were any in BC. Have a look:

http://www.caoac.ca/clubs.html

You may not have a choice if you want to get specific fish. Another idea that might work is if you can find other local fish keepers that are interested in ordering specific fish. Then you could all put an order in together and split the shipping. See if you can find a local fish club or forum or maybe post an ad on Kijiji or something. Might work and it helps you out.:fish1:

Here is a listing of some other aquarium clubs, not sure if any of the are near you I didnt really look to see if there were any in BC. Have a look:

Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs

nope none that are near me :( B.C. has no fish things anywhere.
I am going to the local fish store and see if they can special order some for me

I have already looked at that and under the Smaller, Less Aggressive Mbuna Aquarium fish is the 3 kinds i already have and the other ones they have lissted under there i do not really like. are those the only ones that can go with them??

No but the problem is going to be finding them. I'd talk to the stores around you and see if they are willing to order for you firsts. If not then you'll be stuck with only what they offer. So I'd grab a list of all the ones that each store has and go back to the drawling board

No but the problem is going to be finding them. I'd talk to the stores around you and see if they are willing to order for you firsts. If not then you'll be stuck with only what they offer. So I'd grab a list of all the ones that each store has and go back to the drawling board

Okay that sounds good. I will try to do that tomorrow. By a list meaning what ones i want? Not like everyone they offer right?

Back
Top Bottom